12 bolt or 9 inch

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 35 spline look like this plus the custom adjustable upper with panhard bar I make and the 2 " rise on the axel.

image_151.jpg

image_149.jpg

image_203.jpg

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I got a call from Johns Industries aka 9 inch factory today. It seems there is some confusion about the raised mounting points being available. As of now, they are not available. It will require a jig modification and bracket change as well. Neither of which is done overnight. I will update IF and WHEN the raised mounting point will be available. Sorry for any confusion. Brian

rholso

Supporting Member 1
I would go Dana 60 then you dont have to use the F word.
IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Originally, I wanted to use an 8.75 Mopar, but in the end, there is so much of the 9" F&$d stuff out there, it is much simpler and cheaper to just order a housing up and obtain the third member pieces locally. Several members mentioned Quick Performance, I found that they are easy to deal with and ...quick!

rholso

Supporting Member 1
Yes I do. Ill try to get it up after the weekend. I'm out of town till Sunday. I got the 60 from DTS.

348ShoeBox

Supporting Member 4
Quick Performance 9"

I purchased my 9"F**D Housing,Moser Axles and rear Disc brake setup for my 55 Chevy 348 Stroker from Quick Perf. Good guy to deal with and really quick w/shipping.:)

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here are the pics. If you want any more just let me know and I'll put em up.
IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

Thank you for posting the pictures.
Very nice setup!

Have a some more questions:

Does the rear come with the driver's side upper bracket also?

What is the dimension from the top of the axle tube to the centerline of the
upper control arm bolt hole?

Material thickness 3/16?

Have a Dana 60 4:10 posi out of a F**D truck.

DTS is the rear end person I spoke to about four months ago about the brackets.

They sell the brackets seperately but would not specify the mig wire to weld to the housing. Their only answer was a "special" wire.

After some research I found the "special" wire if any other members want to go the Dana route or install a 12 bolt.
The rear housings are cast steel and can be mig welded with the wire specified
in the attached link.

"Special" mig wire:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0911_dana_44_cast_steel_housing/index.html

Mike

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I'm sure the DTS route is the best, however for years, I welded suspension mounts to stock GM 10 and 12 bolt housings including upper 3rd mounts directly on to the top center of the housing and ran them on circle track applications using the standard mild steel .035 wire. Survived some violent crash damage also and never a problem with the welds. Alot of bent tubes though :crazy .

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We put a Dana 60 in the 55 Chevy, mostly because I've always wanted one.:D
We have to change the ring and pinion tomorrow and I know that would be an easier job if we had a 9" Ford.:grumble:
That's OK though, I still think the Dana looks cool.:D
You can't argue the fact that the 9" Ford is the smallblock Chevy of rearends.

rholso

Supporting Member 1
Thank you for posting the pictures.
Very nice setup!

Have a some more questions:

Does the rear come with the driver's side upper bracket also?

What is the dimension from the top of the axle tube to the centerline of the
upper control arm bolt hole?

Material thickness 3/16?

Have a Dana 60 4:10 posi out of a F**D truck.

DTS is the rear end person I spoke to about four months ago about the brackets.

They sell the brackets seperately but would not specify the mig wire to weld to the housing. Their only answer was a "special" wire.

After some research I found the "special" wire if any other members want to go the Dana route or install a 12 bolt.
The rear housings are cast steel and can be mig welded with the wire specified
in the attached link.

"Special" mig wire:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0911_dana_44_cast_steel_housing/index.html

Mike

The drivers side bracket was available, however DTS told me they had to move the center line over and drive line vibration could be a problem. So I went with out, I might install my own I haven't deciede yet. Its nice to know that you can buy the brackets from them. Did they say how much the brackets were?

As far as the distance from the top of the housing to the center of the controll arm bolt hole I got 4 and 7/8 of an inch measuring from the axle tube to the bolt hole center.

Material is 3/16

I love the dana 60's and have been using them since I was building Jeeps and rock buggies. In my opinion their isnt a better axle front or rear. My buddies and I used to do tons of welding on cast housings on D60's and Corp 14 bolts for Jeeps and never had anything break. Got mine with 35 spline axles, 1/2 inch studs, 3.73 w/ tru-trac posi. Im goning to put the Richmond 6 speed in front of it. Im glad that this new unit I got from DTS has a Strange S60 housing, it doesn't use shims to set backlash, but a nut like the 9 inches use.

Check out the new Hot Rod mag Sept 2010 for a nice section on bolt in rear ends on page 90-100.

Rob Holso