Looking for advice on 1963 Impala SS

JohnS

I know in the old days they commanded big bucks from us living like we're 17 again.

Now there's not so many of us left, I don't think you'll get that car for much less than 50K if not full price because it's a dealer and he probably has 35-40K into it.

I sell the Camaro outright for 60K plus if it's nice and find you a nice 409 car on the internet or real-time for like you said in the thirties or an estate.

Good luck on your decision that's just my opinion.
Makes good sense

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I do not agree that 409 cars have gone down in price. So much depends on the car.
The issues with the 63 409 that was posted and that I commented on are fairly minor, unless the color change is an issue to a buyer.

For example
Almost all 61-63 cars have the wrong factory master cylinder because you cannot buy a new correct original screw top master cylinder ( until just recently by Show Cars) - I have the correct master cylinders but install stainless sleeves so the old master cylinders do not leak
I have seen many 409 cars that do not have the correct 409 fan shroud - easy fix

The correct return line and fuel filter was probably not replaced during the 1963 engine rebuild

Very few 63 409 cars with a factory alternator have the correct deep groove pulley ( replacement alternators do not come with the correct pulley - same for the correct 409 generators on 1962’s 409 end plates and 409 pulleys not correct on replacement generators.

I do see a ballast resistor on the 63 starter wiring harness which was only used on factory 409 cars

As to the color change I see that on lots of restored cars, I did a color change on my friends frame off 62 SS 409 convertible frame restoration that I helped do …including changing the car from a 327 to a 409 correct restoration. This car sold 3 years ago in South Dakota for at least $95,000. I know the current owner would not sell it for less than $125,000

I did not see that the 63 exhaust manifolds are incorrect
The 409 flags and emblems are correct on the 63 posted

“I believe lots of guys restoring 409 cars do not know what is original” - from cars I have seen and reviewed items done on the restoration.

My frame off restored 62 impala Bench seat Hardtop 409 HP frame off restoration (993 points out of 1000 at Late Great Show) sold at Mecum Kissimmee for $68,000 4 years ago then sold by the dealer Ohio dealer who bought it for close to $75,000 -its now in Michigan

Just this month I helped a friend who looked for the last year for a 1961 Chevy Impala 2 door Hardtop with a 348 motor.
We reviewed at least 20 cars most over $75,000

We just reviewed the 1961 Impala frame off restoration car that he purchased from a Midwest dealer.
It was a true frame off restoration not rusty with new paint, new interior, restoration record book with pictures, bottom of car red oxide primer and with a 1963 409 - 2-4 barrel motor and 4 speed. He purchased it for $59,000 a fair price in my opinion for the quantity of the car.

I also have watched the a group of 3 frame off restored 1962 SS 409 convertibles sell all a Mecum reserve auctions in the last year for $140,000 to $170,000( comparing them to my 62 SS 409 convertible)

Do I think the prices for 409 cars are too expensive, yes I do but high quality cars bring good money.
Paul

JohnS

I do not agree that 409 cars have gone down in price. So much depends on the car.
The issues with the 63 409 that was posted and that I commented on are fairly minor, unless the color change is an issue to a buyer.

For example
Almost all 61-63 cars have the wrong factory master cylinder because you cannot buy a new correct original screw top master cylinder ( until just recently by Show Cars) - I have the correct master cylinders but install stainless sleeves so the old master cylinders do not leak
I have seen many 409 cars that do not have the correct 409 fan shroud - easy fix

The correct return line and fuel filter was probably not replaced during the 1963 engine rebuild

Very few 63 409 cars with a factory alternator have the correct deep groove pulley ( replacement alternators do not come with the correct pulley - same for the correct 409 generators on 1962’s 409 end plates and 409 pulleys not correct on replacement generators.

I do see a ballast resistor on the 63 starter wiring harness which was only used on factory 409 cars

As to the color change I see that on lots of restored cars, I did a color change on my friends frame off 62 SS 409 convertible frame restoration that I helped do …including changing the car from a 327 to a 409 correct restoration. This car sold 3 years ago in South Dakota for at least $95,000. I know the current owner would not sell it for less than $125,000

I did not see that the 63 exhaust manifolds are incorrect
The 409 flags and emblems are correct on the 63 posted

“I believe lots of guys restoring 409 cars do not know what is original” - from cars I have seen and reviewed items done on the restoration.

My frame off restored 62 impala Bench seat Hardtop 409 HP frame off restoration (993 points out of 1000 at Late Great Show) sold at Mecum Kissimmee for $68,000 4 years ago then sold by the dealer Ohio dealer who bought it for close to $75,000 -its now in Michigan

Just this month I helped a friend who looked for the last year for a 1961 Chevy Impala 2 door Hardtop with a 348 motor.
We reviewed at least 20 cars most over $75,000

We just reviewed the 1961 Impala frame off restoration car that he purchased from a Midwest dealer.
It was a true frame off restoration not rusty with new paint, new interior, restoration record book with pictures, bottom of car red oxide primer and with a 1963 409 - 2-4 barrel motor and 4 speed. He purchased it for $59,000 a fair price in my opinion for the quantity of the car.

I also have watched the a group of 3 frame off restored 1962 SS 409 convertibles sell all a Mecum reserve auctions in the last year for $140,000 to $170,000( comparing them to my 62 SS 409 convertible)

Do I think the prices for 409 cars are too expensive, yes I do but high quality cars bring good money.
Paul
As I said, the dealership agreed to an even trade for my Camaro, so if I make the deal, I would be getting the Impala for whatever the dealer thinks the Camaro is worth. The Hagerty valuation guide says my car is worth $71,600 in #3 “good” condition.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
What motor in your Z-28. My neighbor frame off restored a 68 Z-28 4 speed after he found the original 302 motor - sold car about 6 years ago.
Having done appraisals on late 50’s and 60’s Chevys over the years Hagerty I think does not have enough detail and their prices I do not trust.
I prefer Old Cars Weekly price guide

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul has nice cars better than factory and the other cars he's talking about are the same and command high dollars.

409 cars all years and models are down unless you're talking 990-1000 point vehicles and they ask alot today hoping to get it and most don't.

JohnS

What motor in your Z-28. My neighbor frame off restored a 68 Z-28 4 speed after he found the original 302 motor - sold car about 6 years ago.
Having done appraisals on late 50’s and 60’s Chevys over the years Hagerty I think does not have enough detail and their prices I do not trust.
I prefer Old Cars Weekly price guide
My car has the original 302 which was the only engine offered in the ‘67-’69 Z28

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I just did a dealer search of the link to all Chevrolets in stock and sold on that 63 SS 409 Impala and they have a post showing that 63 SS 409 “sold“ with cragar mags on the car.
Better check that out, they changed rims tires and to small hubcaps on the current for sale link.

I had not read the description saying that NOS parts - I see NOS parts on that 63 ( SS side trim for sure)
That tilt wheel, and front and rear bumper guards, padded dash, 2 speed wipers, rear antenna add at least $2000 to the value of a standard Impala. 63 SS cars are a 25 % multipler in the old cars weekly guide and a 409 car is a 50% muitplier in Old Cars weekly ( that uses actual sales prices for values)

The video and pictures appear to me that that 63 is at least a 875 point car pending close up views of all the trim, bumpers and floor pan.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11

rear body mounts have been replaced which is pretty typical ( 2 of my frame off restored cars had to have rear body mounts replaced in trunk.
that why you need to see pictures and slow moving video of the entire floor pan.

my friend who bought the 61 that cost $59,000 . I saw pictures and video to confirm original floor pans for him also confirmed painted correct red oxide on the bottom of the floor pans and restored frame and suspension, by restoration pictures.

he did not buy car until he saw it in person - dealer waited for him to come to his dealership to see and drive the car

need more closeup pictures of rear 1/4 wheel wheels - checking for rear 1/4 patches

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My engine was built on June 21 and the car was assembled on the last week of June. The Impala was assembled the second week of Feb and the engine was built on Oct 13th. Does that sound right?

I asked Carl Snelling to review the tags and engine codes he has not responded yet to a link to this 63 SS that I sent to him.

JohnS

I just did a dealer search of the link to all Chevrolets in stock and sold on that 63 SS 409 Impala and they have a post showing that 63 SS 409 “sold“ with cragar mags on the car.
Better check that out, they changed rims tires and to small hubcaps on the current for sale link.

I had not read the description saying that NOS parts - I see NOS parts on that 63 ( SS side trim for sure)
That tilt wheel, and front and rear bumper guards, padded dash, 2 speed wipers, rear antenna add at least $2000 to the value of a standard Impala. 63 SS cars are a 25 % multipler in the old cars weekly guide and a 409 car is a 50% muitplier in Old Cars weekly ( that uses actual sales prices for values)

The video and pictures appear to me that that 63 is at least a 875 point car pending close up views of all the trim, bumpers and floor pan.
Paul
I know the car was in an auction in Jan of 2023 with the cragar mags. I didn’t think it sold as it said the high bid was $30,500. It sold at Barrett Jackson in 2007 and had different wheels then. I think it sold for $52k.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Barrett Jackson is a terrible auction for selling a car since they have a no reserve auction, a seller could have his car sold for way less than what the car is worth. Two local classic car restoration places lost $25,000+ on cars they built and took to Barrett Jackson auctions with no reserve.

At mecum you can set a reserve price and not sell your car if the bids are not high enough, and you can pick the day you sell your car - can’t pick day at Barrett( confirmed by sellers I asked at Barrett)
I have been at 2 Barrett Jackson auctions and Mecum Indy auction
Paul

JohnS

Barrett Jackson is a terrible auction for selling a car since they have a no reserve auction, a seller could have his car sold for way less than what the car is worth. Two local classic car restoration places lost $25,000+ on cars they built and took to Barrett Jackson auctions with no reserve.

At mecum you can set a reserve price and not sell your car if the bids are not high enough, and you can pick the day you sell your car - can’t pick day at Barrett( confirmed by sellers I asked at Barrett)
I have been at 2 Barrett Jackson auctions and Mecum Indy auction
Paul
My friend is going to try and sell his ‘55 Chevy at Mecum Harrisburg. He’s had it for sale at the Classic Auto Mall in Morgantown PA for $150k with no luck