Carter 3361 3362 questions

409Steve62

Steve, are you running your Edelbrocks progressive or synchronized. So, your cam, the high rear gear (3.08), and running the carbs synchronized (opening together) won't necessarily be better with the OEM carbs. only one has the proper idle, low speed circuits to transition smoothly. They will play best in a progressive application.
I believe the OEM carters on the dual quad 409's are 550 or 525 CFM each.

Forgive me but I have not read through every post of your previous thread, what compression are you running with the Z33? IMHO it needs 10.5-1 or better to play at it's best.
Hey 32
Sorry about the late reply, different time zone and busy day at work. Yes the carbs are set up 1:1 , it’s very hard here to get the advice needed especially with the last dyno guy costing me a fortune and handing the car back in a worse state than I gave it to him! I’m not totally sure on the compression but the guy I brought the rebuilt assembled block off is a drag racer & I’m sure it’s above 10.5. Ross pistons , 64 422 QB block. I have the rear gear out at the moment and have a 3.73 on order from rockauto.
The budget here is a bit tight with the car as I have a young family and the car i brought in from USA had a 10 inch crack in the 62 block. All kind of went down hill from there. I haven’t taken the edelbrocks off yet. Tbh I’m struggling to get the jets out of the afbs I have :wacko all I know is when the guy was half way getting there on the dyno it was getting rich in the high rpm range. Power dropping off around 5000rpm. Maybe due to wrong valve lash at the time . On a Facebook post I read a guy saying the 500’s were to small and when he went to the 650’s it picked up 30hp and he wasn’t having these problems anymore. So putting the carters back on seemed like the way I should go and within my budget atm

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
On the jet's, take a screwdriver that is bigger than the jet slots and grind it to fit proper in the jet slot. Then take a small hammer and give that screwdriver a few taps then try and remove the jet.
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited: