Carter 3361 3362 questions

409Steve62

Back again. I’m working my way through my 409 woes after the tuning saga before Xmas . On my budget and after a lot of advice from a lot of members here I’m changing the rear gear ratio & sticking with the z33 cam (for now) it’s worth putting my carters back on as the edelbrocks have defeated my sanity. I also read on a Facebook page the 500s are possibly too small for my combo hence going back to the carters. If all else fails I’ll save & go a big Holley single setup. For now I’ll try the my 3361 3362 carbs

I’ve torn them down today, they look pretty good. The primary jet decodes as .0935 with 16-690 rod and the secondary jet on both sides is un readable & can’t even remove one side due to damage to the jet. Will easy out it later.

Looking on the codes my carbs should have a .1015 primary and .0635 secondary’s

I’ve read a few forums on here that are 10 plus years old so hoping for advice on what I should try & where the best place to buy these jets and rods

Do the edelbrock step up springs work in the afbs ? The springs in my afbs look rather strong for my low intake vac produced by my cam to tame the metering rods. Any advice appreciated :)

409Steve62

If anyone has any recommendations with a starting point for rods & jets let me know. I see on another post starting with a .100 primary .074 secondary with a .065 x .057 rod might be what I need? Any advice with the z33 cam and the cast heads is much appreciated

Reactions: 327

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a post in a Facebook group of an old Bill Jenkins Q&A from a magazine. I saved it but I can't load it to this site.
It showed

Front carb .098 jets, .057 rods primary.
.070 jets secondary.

Rear carb .101 jet .057 rod left primary.
.102 jet. 057 rod right primary.
.065 left. 063 right secondary.

I would guess this would be stock 425 hp cam and manifolds.

409Steve62

The factory carbs are not more than 500 cfm each??, correct me if I am wrong
I also thought the same but reading a lot of threads on this page and a lot of discussions have been had and the verdict seems to be 625-650 cfm on the afbs. They were never rated but there has been carb gurus that have done tests to figure it out

409Steve62

There was a post in a Facebook group of an old Bill Jenkins Q&A from a magazine. I saved it but I can't load it to this site.
It showed

.070 jets secondary.

Thanks Tom this is a great starting point for me , let the fun begin. I’m running stock manifold & my z33 cam I measured a 53.5 lift rather than the specs of around 56.5 so I’d say it’s had a grind closer to the 425hp range. Might be wrong but should be in the ballpark

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I googled "409 chevy carb cfm rating" .
In the results the web site " forabodiesonly.com" came up. Listed many carbs there.
I haven't learned how to link to other pages.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I have 2 Eddy Thunder 500's on out 409 and it run great. Having the air valve in both carburetors is way better then the old Carter/Eddy performer carbs. I know this for sure. When I ran my "junk 400" project in my Camaro I tested several of the Eddy 600's and the car was dog sheet slow with them. I put a Holley 750 vs on the car and went from 13.09 to a solid 12.80's the rest of the night, no tuning on that Holley either. If I were to have a super hot 409 again I would most certainly run the new Street Demon carburetors that look like the old Theromo-quads.

409Steve62

It showed

.070 jets secondary.

Regarding the rods on both carbs in this post .057 seems to be the length or power? Is there different diameter measurements or is that for me to work through?

Last edited:

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve, are you running your Edelbrocks progressive or synchronized. So, your cam, the high rear gear (3.08), and running the carbs synchronized (opening together) won't necessarily be better with the OEM carbs. only one has the proper idle, low speed circuits to transition smoothly. They will play best in a progressive application.
I believe the OEM carters on the dual quad 409's are 550 or 525 CFM each.

Forgive me but I have not read through every post of your previous thread, what compression are you running with the Z33? IMHO it needs 10.5-1 or better to play at it's best.

Last edited: