You asked for it...

Not sure if these types of stories are encouraged on this site...but I'll ask forgiveness later if not..oh well-here goes... I was born in 1975 in California, the 2nd child of a minister.
By 1985 (now 10 years old and living in Alabama)....I had a deep love for antique cars (particularly 50s and 60s Chevys). My mother suffered with cancer from the time I was 5 to age 15...(I know a little bit about difficult times). My my mom lost her 10 year battle with cancer in 1990.
I took the $4,500 that I received (moms social security money) and bought my 1st car at age 15. It was a 1963 Impala-327 automatic...2-door hardtop....red with white top. It was in Unbelievable condition, except for paint job, it was 100% original-down to the battery cables and spare tire--48,000 original miles. It had been mostly parked during a 20 year stretch. It's true that the seller had no clue of the cars value--but keep in mind this was almost 25 years ago. I soon became the only 16 year old kid regularly entering a car in antique car shows. It was my pride and Joy!
I drove the car daily all through high school. Me and my car were recognized county-wide and I turned down tons and tons of offers during those years. Unfortunately, I had to part with the car in order to get a college education but the plan was to get something similar upon graduating. However, adult life and new responsibilities (marriage, kids, teaching career, coaching duties, graduate school) halted that plan. It took me 20 years...but last month I bought my 2nd dream car --1962 Impala 4-speed 409... Red with white top. I purchased it from May Muscle Cars in Fairfield, Ohio. It's a special car...A lot of sentimental stuff too. I drive the car daily and enter it in all the shows. Having the time of my life...Thanks for listening!
God Bless You All!
Markimage.jpg
Me at 15. 1990
image.jpg
Me at 39 1/2. 2014

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Congrats,cool story.....except how you got the money.....sorry for the loss of your mother.nice pictures very nice looking cars,your a lucky fella.....:beer

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well Mark,
Thanks for the story and photos of yourself and your car.:cheers
I enjoyed the story apart from the sadness around you mom.
I dare say this car will bring back a lot of good memories.
Great to see a daily driven car

Have you checked out the convention thread yet:dunno
Would be good to see you there

Steve

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I know it's hard loosing a parent at such an early age, truly sorry to hear that part of your story. The rest is wonderful though! Again, welcome to the board!!

Steve[/QUOTE]

I Would love to attend convention and maybe one day I can... But being a teacher/coach...I can't break away during that time of the year.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10

Steve

I Would love to attend convention and maybe one day I can... But being a teacher/coach...I can't break away during that time of the year.[/QUOTE]
Sure you can!!! PM me the phone number of your Superintendent and I'll get it handled for you!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap Does "personal days" mean anything to you??????!!!!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Very nice car's . At least you can enjoy your car now, unlike some of us that build on these car's to get them done someday!!!!!!:grumble:grumble:grumble

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mark! Them kids will survive without you for 5-6 days! Something that happens once every ten years ya cant miss! This isnt a car show or just drag racing, its a happening! Theres only gonna be one conv #2 im sure there will be a 3rd one but it wont be the same. Life goes fast brother , you need to live it. Ive known a few people that passed away young that put thing off . Memories are the best part of life , some great ones gonna be made in Kansas for sure! Oh you can read about it but its not the same. See you there!

Steve