What gears cpg????????

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Aubrey,

What gears are you going to run in your stocker?? I just aquired a set of 5.28's in a 10 bolt pumpkin with the reinforcement plate on the ring gear side. The guy I bought it from said they use to drag race a 55 chevy. They would drive to the track with a set of 3.08 opens, and after getting there they would tag team the gear change to the 5.28's. Then at the end of the day do the reverse for the drive home. And guess what I paid for the whole set up???? Are you ready for this $300.

Don, I think those would be 5.38's ... ? I have a GM set here. Had trouble with that crown & pinion before... seems to be something about the pitch on the teeth ( have same issue with 3.70's ).
$300 is a good deal though ! I just ac
quired a 4.11 posi ( on that elusive 4 series carrier ) for the same price ( CDN $$ ).

For my Belair I have 4.88's and a set of brand new Zoom 5.13's. Don't know which yet.... depends on where my engine dyno's ( peak HP & torque curve ). Tires are 28 tall.
The "big" guys in the stocker/super stocks here, are telling me that I need my car to basically peak 300 ft before the traps:eek: ! don't know if I can deliberately do that !

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
WOW!!!!!!!

Did I mess up. I thought those gears were 7 pinion and 37 ring. Just came up from doing a recount. Turns out they are 6 pinion and still 37 ring. That's 6.16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You ever hear of that ratio for these rears, Aubrey?? It's a series four posi. There is no spacer. Man that would make your car sing through the traps.:eek: Let's see what others do I have. 3.55's in the wagon now. 4.56's that were in the car when I bought it. And a set of 4.88's. These are all set up with posi's. I also have a empty carrier too. Oh yea and 3.23 open rear. I don't think I need any more. Have a set of GM 4.10 gears new in the box and a set of 4.88 gears the same