wassup

ssrbuzz

Hi to all on this message board. I've owned my '62 SS 409 since 1993.
The main reason I joined this exchange was to keep up on 409 related info,
and to possibly sell some of my '62 parts, thanks buzz

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Buzz:beerbang nice to see another L.I. guy joining. Maybe we have seen you at some of the shows on the Island:dunno. Do you have some pix's of that 62:pray and Just what do you have that your looking to get ride of:deal Ken

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Buzz,:clap Another Long Islander to the site. Looking forward to meeting you some time down the line.We had a small get together about a month ago at Captree. Met some real cool guys.:crazy:cool: You are gonna love this site. :loveLike Kenny ( WENGINE) says lots of pics of your project please.:cheers:cheers

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it ever stops raining we should get together again.
I'm fitting some pontoones to my camaro so I can take it out I''ll get to captree via the water:?

ssrbuzz

have'nt been here in months

hey guys thanks for the welcome, I have not been online in months (hate computers) and it's nice to see other LongIslamders here. I would like to show some pics, but I'll have to figure out how to do that. my last cruise was a sunday morning to OBI parking lot, last month and when I got home the oil puddle on the garage floor was bigger than the usual spots I've been used to over the past decade, however now the oil spray is all over the bell housing/tranny and I fear the worst, like having to deal with a rear main seal... will the motor have to be pulled..? or can I replace the seal with the motor still in the car... is it also true that I'll have to drop the oil pan and loosen the main bearings to remove the old seal..??

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Verify where the oil is coming from. According to the '62 shop manual the 348/409 needs to be pulled to remove pan. (yea, I tried to remove the pan with the motor in the car) Good luck Leo

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are you sure that it's an engine oil leak. Or could it be a trans oil leak. do you have a auto or stick trans. either way you may have to pull the trans to determin. :evil Got to do it on my Camaro trans leak has taken out my clutch:grumble: Ken

ssrbuzz

oil leak

the motor in my 62 is a 64 QC block, single 4 bbl carb, hydraulic cam.., transmission is an M20 4spd.., definitely an oil leak coming off the back of the motor, dripping down from the bell housing, now appears to be a pressure
leak when the motor is running... does the 64 QC block also need to be pulled in order to get at the seal..??

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Check to make sure it is not the valve cover corner or the back of the intake manifold. The motor needs to be pulled to remove oil pan. The problem is the counter weights are pretty big and the oil pan has very little clearance from the cross member. A small block pan can be removed by lifting the motor about 3 1/2" and rotating the crank to a certain position.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can get a dye put in the oil and get it checked with a UV to narrow down the leak. Summit sell the UV light or many garages have them as well. Carquest sell the dye.

Don

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Buzz you say it's a pressure leak:dunno If thats so have you checked to be sure the engine is vented properlly. you may have a venting problem, a hose, pipe plugged somewere and unplugging it may solve your problem if the crank seal isn't to far gone:dunno Ken