W-motorhead joins the group

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
I am a new member of the 348-409 group. I drive a '63 Biscayne, powered by a 409/425hp mill. It is clear from reading the postings on the 348-409 site that the members are enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their W-series motors.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard. Nice '63 you have there, and we just love the choice of engine. Tell us a little more about her, put up some pictures if you have them. And ask questions when you have them, there is quite a collective knowledge base here :).

Cheers!
TomK

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome to site, where are you located? Great bunch of guys on this site.:D

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for welcoming me aboard. I live in Salt Lake City, UT. My 409/425hp runs great. Nevertheless, there is oil leaking from the bell housing when she runs, but not when the engine is shut off and the car is standing. I suspect the cause is a leaky rear main seal. Is it possible (or adviseable) to replace the seal without removing the engine from the car? I am thinking that this might be an occasion to rebuild the engine.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The 409 oil pan is pretty much impossible to get off with the motor in the car. The crank counterweights are just to big. The GM shop manual also says the 409 needs to be pulled out.

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
The 409 oil pan is pretty much impossible to get off with the motor in the car. The crank counterweights are just to big. The GM shop manual also says the 409 needs to be pulled out.

Thanks very much, '62impala409.' The oil leak is annoying enough to inspire me to take on the rebuild project. The 348-409 group looks like a terrific source for expert advice.

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
As requested, I am posting some pics of my '63 Biscayne.

Attachments

• 63 biscayne_interior_front.jpg
    63 biscayne_interior_front.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 63 Biscayne_R side.jpg
    63 Biscayne_R side.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 63 Biscayne_rear.jpg
    63 Biscayne_rear.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4
  • Dan&63Biscayne.jpg
    Dan&63Biscayne.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 7
  • engine_left.jpg
    engine_left.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nice car !!!! We have another member in the SLC area, Joel. He will propably see this post and ring in. He has a 62 Sedan, which he is building a motor for, after breaking the old one at the West Coast Shootout in Sep.

Anyway welcome, I'm in Boise so not too far away.

Bill

409envy

Well Known Member
I love your Biscayne!

It looks like a nicely preserved original? Has it ever been restored?

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
I love your Biscayne!

It looks like a nicely preserved original? Has it ever been restored?

Dear 4009envy,
I don't know the car's history. I bought it 4 years ago. The interior looks original. My guess is that the engine was rebuilt at some time in the distant past. The engine runs great, but the rear main seal leaks. For that reason, I am planning an engine rebuild. See my request for advice about a camshaft under "Builds and Projects."
Dan Fults

Bugsy

Welcome W, If your thinking about pulling the pan one of the tricks I learned at the Dealer when they were new was pull the fan blades, the distributor cap & rotor, Starter & motor mount bolts, and turn the timing mark to 6' oclock. That puts the front counter weights up inside the block. jack it as high as you can. I've had to do it on my 09. Bugsy

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Welcome W, If your thinking about pulling the pan one of the tricks I learned at the Dealer when they were new was pull the fan blades, the distributor cap & rotor, Starter & motor mount bolts, and turn the timing mark to 6' oclock. That puts the front counter weights up inside the block. jack it as high as you can. I've had to do it on my 09. Bugsy

Thanks for that tip, Bugsy. I have decided to pull the engine for a rebuild (when the winter weather here in Salt Lake City is over!).
Dan Fults