Vintage Chrome Reversed

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I am thinking bout putting a set of chrome reversed wheels on my 61 Impala. I what to stagger the sizes skinnies in front bigger on vintage cheater slicks on rear. I want to run vintage style bias plys dont know what sizes to go with. Weither to stick with 14 or go to 15 inch rim and want a deep rear wheel. Does anyone know whats the widest wheel/ deepest wheel that will fit under a stock rear wheel opening of a 1961 impala. Anyone have any pictures of or know of a good place to source wheels. I know serveral places make new ones such as Milner 32's but kinda wanted to stick with an old set. Here is a pic of the look I am going for anymore out there.

northwinddurandphoto.jpg

I'm rolling mine around on some ralley wheels. 15X7 in the front and 15X8 in the rear. I've not had the chance to drive it (a ways to go) but that 8" wheel clears everything. I must add that it looks like the lips of the 1/4s were rolled a little when installed (I'm making that area nicer right now) but I have nearly an inch inside and out with the axle dead center. I'm going by memory here but I think the 8" Vette wheel has a 3 3/4 backspace. I'll check this afternoon and post back. I can't remember if that 3 3/4 number is a wheel I modified back in the day. I really like the offset and size of what's on it. I know a Vette ralley isn't the way but for sizing...

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi nasblu

The link below references 1961 for all models using 14". Tire would most likely be "Silvertown" model but you should check with the folks at Coker.

http://store.coker.com/search.php?m..._shortdescr=Y&by_fulldescr=Y&substring=800-14

This is "one" link for slicks. Not sure if they do anything in 14 inch anymore but you can check. I'm using 27" X 7.0 inch X 14.0'. 7.0 inch, apparently, being pretty standard for this era. A larger slick would be nice as well, but if your car hooks pretty good, there may be other components that will "give".

http://www.hurstracingtires.com/

The wheels shown in this link might be too big for the 1961 but gives you an idea of the larger chrome reverse wheel and cheater slick.

http://hotrod.automotive.com/76693/hrds-0807-1955-chevy-gasser/photos21-0.html

http://hotrod.automotive.com/76693/hrds-0807-1955-chevy-gasser/photos8-0.html

1. The picture of the 32' was a tribute car offered for sale on Ebay.

2. Aubrey Bruneau's Stocker had 28" X 9" X 14" Mickey Thompson ET drag slicks on 14" X 8" chrome reverse wheels. Not sure of the backspacing.

3. Not sure of the origin of this picture but I had it on file.

4. Picture of a well-known Z11 car.

5 Although this Beatifull 61 does not have reverse chrome..this might be what you're looking for in terms of tire/wheel look. I believe this car belongs to a member here but.I apologize since I can't recall the owner's name. Others may wish to chime in on that.

Ray (fatride) had chrome reverse on his 1960, but I can't find any pictures. Ray??

Regards,

Ron

Attachments

• 1932 Ford 5 window coupe+Mlner.jpg
    1932 Ford 5 window coupe+Mlner.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Aubrey.jpg
    Aubrey.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Tilton-AlLewis5-64.jpg
    Tilton-AlLewis5-64.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 63_Chevy_Impala_Z11_DV_06-MDB_04.jpg
    63_Chevy_Impala_Z11_DV_06-MDB_04.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSB_3803.JPG
    DSB_3803.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 116

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Here is another chrome reverse wheel of one of our members good looking(did I mention fast also) cars.
robert

Attachments

• CIMG5195.jpg
    CIMG5195.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 94

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
wheel vintiques series 64

W.V. makes very nice chrome reverse as well. these are 15x8 with 10.5x28 slicks. the backspace is 4-1/4.
fronts are 15x5 BS is 2-1/4 i think. tires are moroso DS/2 28x4.5

reproduction ralley wheels 8x15 also have 4-1/4 B.S. (U.S. Wheel Co.) made in china.

Attachments

• DSC_5802.jpg
    DSC_5802.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 98

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanx Robert

looks you and i were thinking and posting the same thing at the same time.

Great minds think alike

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I forgot about Wheel Vintiques.

Very Nice shots of the white 63! Bob..that burn-out picture would make a nice "poster" :deal

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys for all your help!!! I defintely want to restore the stock wheels and hubcaps but also like to have period aftermarket wheel tire from that era also.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You know in 1963 Chevrolet offered chrome wheels as an option with the full size car.They were avialiable thru GM or over the counter..Why not get a set of stock wheels with the widths your looking for and have them chromed? John

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Go for it

Luv the look of those Chrome reverse wheels. Not really fond of the newer wheels.
Here's a pic of some chromies I had on on 54 years ago.
Chrome Reverse.jpg

On my 58 I got some American repro GM Rally wheels not chrome reverse but I like em:cool:

American Chrome Rally.jpg

58 Chassis Now 2.jpg

Anybody know where I can find some 60 foot dia Baby Moons for these:roll:roll
Road 2.jpg

I measured everything on the car today. Yes the stock Vettes are 4" BS. The tires are 255/70R and measure 11X29. With the stock axle dead center there's 1 1/2" to the outside with a rolled 1/4 lip. I didn't get an inside measurement but there's plenty all around on mine with the ride hgt covering almost 1/2 the sidewall. Hope it helps.

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for all the help!!!! I have the car completely tore apart body on a rotisserie so it will be awhile before I am ready for that but just trying to think ahead.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Show some pics

If you've got any pics of the project let us see um:eek::eek:

wbc409

Well Known Member
I think I've got a pair. I'll have to check size and bolt pattern. I'm sure they're 15x8 though.