VIN plate missing (Pontiac).

T0123QG

I am looking at a 1970 GTO Convertible for a good price. It's my other favorite car other than my 63 Impala.
Owner has the title, I checked the title number and it comes back good, car is missing the actual VIN you see through the windshield.
Owner says he lost it replacing the vinyl dash. State DOT says I have to get a replacement vin if the car is determined to not be stolen.
Sounds like a mess to deal with. Thanks.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Being that the VIN tag is riveted to the metal dash and not the dash pad, makes me wonder about the situation :scratch Is he claiming he was changing the whole metal part of the dash or just the dash pad? Either way, I still agree with 62BillT, the seller needs to take care of it before he sales it to anyone.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Personally I would avoid it.I am curious does the trim tag style line have 70 24267.All Gto’s (except 64),65)were 242 cars,67 means it is a convertible.If it doesn’t have 242 it’s a lemans.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
On a trifive Chevy, there is hidden VIN# on the top of frame rail, in the area of where the front seat is. I read where some wire brush that area, use a light and mirror and recover the number. Then depending on what is required in each state by DMV, you would go from there. Some states even issue a new VIN# after inspection by a police agency. I wouldn't buy a vehicle without a VIN tag attached. Too much red tape to go through. I bought my '55 in Connecticut without a registration, bill of sale only, and DMV made me jump through hoops to register this car. Of course it was during Covid and I made 5 trips to the MVB. Had to make an appointment on line. No thanks.
I don't question the legitimacy of the owner losing the VIN#. I wasn't there. IDK. But seriously, that piece of the automobile is so important, how could you lose it?? I'd sleep with it under my pillow, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Additionally, I could be wrong, but I do believe all '66-'71 GTO's, will have 242 in their VIN#. Those years they got their own model #; not a Tempest extension. You could also contact PHS. For a fee they will research the VIN# you provide and give you a copy of the window sticker. I did this with my '71. Pontiac Historical Society. They have a website, Carmine.

T0123QG

Thanks everybody. He gave me the vin on the title he has, it is 242670Rxxxxxx, so it matches what the car is.
I will post a video of my 63 soon. Many miscellaneous parts from Phil. His place on River Road was an hour drive.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks everybody. He gave me the vin on the title he has, it is 242670Rxxxxxx, so it matches what the car is.
I will post a video of my 63 soon. Many miscellaneous parts from Phil. His place on River Road was an hour drive.
Title VIN has to match with VIN on frame. have you looked at that?

T0123QG

The guy selling it is not willing to search the frame, and the engine is not the original as well. I only have
photos of the car, it's pretty far away.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The guy selling it is not willing to search the frame, and the engine is not the original as well. I only have
photos of the car, it's pretty far away.
Although I agree with most others here and would not consider it probably at all, but at least unless the seller put the VIN tag on and it was verified by the Highway Patrol/DMV. However, I am still curious about the tag. Have you asked the seller to explain how changing the dash pad loses the VIN tag? Have you asked him if he was cutting and replacing the metal dash substructure? Usually these cars rust at the windshield base and can easily be cut out and replaced without getting anywhere near the tag. I guess the car could have been a massive rust bucket???? How does he explain the necessity of removing the tag? In some places I thought I heard that the DMV will take cars like that until proven otherwise :dunno