HI guys

I was wondering if you know where i could decode this vin number
I am interested in knowing if this car had a V8 engine in it
I took the numbers off a photo so some numbers that look like a B might be an 8
Thanks for any info very much appreciated

03A817
ST 66- 15311 BT01400
TR - 876

First of all that is not a VIN, it is a trim tag for a 66 Biscayne 6 cylinder 2 door sedan. It was the 1400th body of that style built at the Arlington, Texas (Dallas) assembly plant during the first week of March in calendar year 1966. The TR (trim)- 876 indicates a red interior. You didn't list the PNT (paint) code which should be just to the right of the TR-876. The "817" at the upper right corner is probably" B17 "and is an interior color code used by assembly line workers.

The VIN number should be on a stainless steel plate attached to the drivers side hinge pillar.

rick31797

Hi

Thanks for decoding the number , you answer my question about what motor was in this car..originally.

The other numbers are RR and a M11

Where in this number shows that this was a 6 cylinder car?
And what does the VIN number tell you?
Thanks

Rick

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for decoding the number , you answer my question about what motor was in this car..originally.

The other numbers are RR and a M11

Where in this number shows that this was a 6 cylinder car?
And what does the VIN number tell you?
Thanks

Rick

Rick,
15311 is the model number which indicates a Biscayne 2 door sedan with 6 cyl engine, however, I don't think that number is correct. All trim tag model numbers should reflect a V8 model. Check it again and see if the third digit is really a 4 not a 3. As far as I know, the model number on the trim tag should be that of a V8 engine model regardless of the engine actually installed. That was because the Fisher body assembly plant didn't know or care which engine was installed on the final assembly line as the body was built to accept either one. GM chose to use the V8 model number on all bodies that were offered with a V8 option. The VIN number on the hinge pillar tag should be the final authority on the installed engine. In other words the model number on the trim tag should be 15411 but the number on the VIN tag should be 15311 for a six cyl. and 15411 for a V8 engine Biscayne 2 door sedan. If yours is a 15311 on the trim tag that would be the first one I've heard of.:scratch

Also RR is the paint code for Regal Red and M11 , I believe, is the option code for the floor mounted automatic shifter without console.

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, that sure looks like "15311" which is the model number for a 6 cyl.
Looks like Colvin was wrong again. :eek:
This is the first example of a 6 cyl model number on the trim tag I have seen on a 66. I know that on the Camaros and Novas it was true that the model number on the trim tag was always a V8 model number and the VIN tag denoted the actual engine type. The following is a quote from Alan Colvin's "Chevy By The Numbers 65-69":

"On all 1965 through 1971 trim tags, the engine identification portion of the model number always indicates a V8 engine. No 6-cylinder engine identification numbers are stamped on any trim tag. Engine verification must be made by checking the VIN."

If I don't learn something new everyday then I wasn't paying attention.:doh

rick31797

hi

Thanks for all the information you have been a big help.. The internet is great,,Makes life alot easier when it comes to things like this. I will have to see if i can get the VIN number

Cheers Rick

rick31797

Oldskydog.. If i can get the VIN number for this car do u have reference books to decode the number like you did the Trim number..

I thought i could find something on line. but i havne't yet..

Cheers Rick

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
It will tell you the model number and whether it was a 6 or V8 but I think we already know that. If you post it I should be able to verify it.

tar6569

Could you post of send me the actual vin from the car for my fullsize chevrolet research?

Thanks, Warren

rick31797

Here is the VIN number.. what can i learn from this number besides the previous owners..
Thanks for helping me

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 65

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Here is the VIN number.. what can i learn from this number besides the previous owners..
Thanks for helping me

Rick

This confirms that this 66 Biscayne 2 door sedan was originally equipped with a 6cyl engine and was the 86,889th Chevy passenger car built in 66. It was built at the Arlington, Tx assembly plant.

Back to the trim tag M11 accessory code. Does the car have a floor mounted shifter or at least a hole in the hump for a shifter ?

rick31797

I am trying to get the information about the shifter.. The pictures the guy sent me are at the wrong angle to see if there was a shifter on the column...

So when he gets to me i will post it.

Rick

tar6569

What are the numbers handstamped into the vin tag which correspond to the delivery date (DD)? Do you own the car?

Warren