Viking

Viking

Hey you guys are really helpful I've been reading and getting a lot of good info. I'am working on an old farm truck with 348 in it It was running to good so I decided to make it a little better kitted carb now it won't start unless you prime it and won't idle but runs ok with throttle about half open I was going to start with choke and vacum leak. Oh I it doesn't matter where the air fuel needles are set. I'm I looking in the right direction? thanks

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
if youre using the 4gc carb,thegasket between the bowl and base n be reversed causing a vac.leak[been there done that]:bangAlso check base gasket:scratch

Viking

Carb trouble

thanks for a place to start Don Now to really show off my lack of ability and knowledge here is a really stupid question. There is a vacume line that comes off the base of the carb and goes down behind the distributer and just kind of goes away what is it suppose to do? This engine was put in this truck some years back by someone else so it is really tight against the fire wall I can't get a good look at where that line goes can't even get my fat little fingers down there. If I looked up the numbers right on the block this engine came out of a passenger car with auto transmission and I think the 4 brrl carb is original. I've got the sister to this truck but she's only got the 283. Thanks for the patience and any advice

Viking

Stovebolt

Just cruised thru stovebolt I just went from an old farm truck to full rebuild thanks for the info I think

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
thanks for a place to start Don Now to really show off my lack of ability and knowledge here is a really stupid question. There is a vacume line that comes off the base of the carb and goes down behind the distributer and just kind of goes away what is it suppose to do? This engine was put in this truck some years back by someone else so it is really tight against the fire wall I can't get a good look at where that line goes can't even get my fat little fingers down there. If I looked up the numbers right on the block this engine came out of a passenger car with auto transmission and I think the 4 brrl carb is original. I've got the sister to this truck but she's only got the 283. Thanks for the patience and any advice

That vacuum line was probably for the vacuum modulator on the powerglide on the car it came out of. It should be plugged or it will be a big vacuum leak.

Viking

vacum leak

I don't know what a vacum modulotor is but I ain't got one, so that line is plugged, tomorrow wife's got me carpentering today. My heart isn't in it dieing to plug vacum leaks. My dear old mother needs s**t hauled for garden I need to cruise in old dump truck thanks for the help