Upper Control Arms

HI ALL,
WE ARE INSTALLING NEW BUSHING IN THE FRONT ENDOF MY DADS CAR. THE CAR IS A 1962 IMPALA CONV. WITH A 409 WITH 425 HP. WE ARE TRY TO GET THE UPPER CONTROL ARM OFF THE CAR BUT THE EXHAUT MANIFOLD IS IN THE WAY DO WE CUT THE BOLTS LIKE THE SHOP MANUAL SAID TO DO OR DO WE TAKE OFF THE EXHAUT MANIFOLD?

IF WE DO CUT THE BOLTS HOW DO YOU PRESS OUT THE BOLTS?

IS THERE A EXHAUT MANIFOLD GASKET ON THE 409? BECAUSE THERE ISN’T ONE THERE NOW.

THANKS,
BRAD

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Another solution

Brad:

No need to cut that bolt! Here's what I did on my '62 just a few months' ago:

Unbolted the steering box and moved it aside (and I had PS on mine which made it a bit more difficult I think), then with the steering shaft askew (I actually disconnected mine, but don't think it was necessary) use a prybar (be gentle) or a long screwdriver to move the unbolted upper A arm off that bolt. It doesn't look like it'll make it at first, but it does. I put duct tape over the threads so I didn't maim them, but not sure this is required. Pops right off. To assemble, reverse the process.

Good luck!

Tom K

bobs409

Administrator
Sure glad Tom handled that part. :D I'll help with the easy one. No gaskets used on the manifolds. :p

That won't work here, Tom.... the 409 exhaust manifold basically sits right on top of the control arm shaft.

The ex manifolds are not that difficult to take off. And when they are off... oh YEAH ! .... there's ALL KINDS of room !

Myself...I don't remove the control arms to replace the bushings.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Got it!

CPG, thanks for the correction. I was doing this with a less-than-mighty but venerable 283. Now I know!

Best,
Tom

P.S. check out the "Rube Goldberg" Honda ad I put in a link in the General Topics section... You engineers will love it :)

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I replaced the upper control arm bolts that I cut off when I put those Sanderson headers on. They are much the same as a wheel stud, that is they have a serated shoulder. I took a grade 8 bolt with a shoulder and used a chisel to make the serations and put them in. Works like a charm, so if you do destroy a bolt it is not the end of the world.:) Roy

B

bowtieollie

Hi Brad,

No sweat,

Get a 6pt socket and a 24" ratchet extention.

Place the socket on the bolt head and twist it.

It will dislodge the splines and the bolt will come right out.

Upon reinstalling the bolt, just place it in the hole, and give it a slight tap with a hammer. It will stay in place, and the splines will prevent it from turning.

No need to touch any steering or engine parts.

thanks guys
I got it off last night. I had to remove the exhaut manifold. I tried the other ways but they didn't work. off with the manifolds.
Brad