TOOLS - The good, the bad, and the ugly

crawler

This post is inspired by the end of the Ignitionman/coil info thread, but I thought it warranted a new thread.

I'm sure some of you, like myself, have a bit of a tool fetish. I get a bit nutty and personal over brands, quality, and where it's made. I'm not too stuck on price if the quality is there - much rather painfully fork over more clams at the checkout for something that is less likely to screw up in a week (or the day after the warranty expires) than buy cheap sh_t made in (pick the third world country of your choice). The thing is, it seems to be getting harder and harder to find tools (and stuff in general) of even resonable quality - nevermind GOOD quality. I've walked out of stores more than a few times when I really couldn't afford the time to do so just because I was so :cuss with the options of bad, worse, and really bad for the item. WHERE'S THE BEEF!

I keep getting this feeling that our economy is like this big hungry lizzard that has found a great half price dinner deal to gorge on, only to later discover, after the tummy pains get bad, that it has been fed it's own tail! (I include Canada with the USA economically - my appologies if this offends anyone).

What brands of hand and power tools do you guys like to use? (I'm a bit partial to Bosch and Millwaukee for power stuff though they do have there faults). Haven't really bought any hand tools in years ...my old Craftsman/Grey/ Snap on stuff just keeps on going and going.
What NEW stuff is good? ...or bad? ...or UGLY? ;)

crawler

I can't afford NEW snap on stuff either. I was lucky and got the chance to buy a good used set of Craftsman/Snap on stuff about fifteen years ago from a retired mechanic for a very resonable price. Some of the chrome plating is worn or chipped off, but it's served me well ever since. Other than that set, some of the best tools I have came from garage sales.

Good subject, Crawler !
My preferences vary with what the tool is.
Wrenches ( combination ).... Snap-on or Mac
Air tools....... Mac
Screwdivers..... Mac ( WAY better than Snap-on ! )
Pliers..... Mac
Ratchets.... Snap-on
Hammers.... Snap-on
Measuring tools..... Starret

In the affordable catagory, generally speaking, I must say, if you select them carefully, Westward is the best tool for the money. These are the tools that I take on trips, to the track, ect.:cheers

I

IgnitionMan

I'm fortunate enough to have a small lathe, but need an inexpensive full size Bridgport mill. I get frustrated when somethign I really need is too expensive for a plate and two needles, so...I just go make one for myself.

I have made:

Thickness guage for dome thinckness of pistons
Rod bolt stretch meter
Deck height meter to measure from main bore to head deck
Main bearing bore depth guage
12 line mercury manometer (Measures vacuum levels in 12 different ports)
Blowby meter for measuring crankcase pressure
Valve stem height meter for setting stem heights
Adjustable pushrod to work with my pushrod length checker

And on, and on.

Hey, ya gotta have TOOLS, if you don't, you go crazy!! I'm livin' proof of that.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Electric tools

Milwalkie ,,,,Porter Cable,,,,and most Bosch are still good. DeWalt top-end tools are good quality but the low end is for the home owner and won`t hold up to constant use.

Black and Decker is junk thats why they bought DeWalt and have improved most DeWalt tools and build one of the best table saws and miters saws.

Ryobe,,,,and most of Rigid are junk !! Which is too bad as Rigid made great tools years ago,,,

Hand tool,,,,

Snap-on,,,Mac,,,,Matco,,,, Top of the line

Blue Point is Snap-ons off name brand,,,,same quality but not as much finish detail on the tools.

Husky at Home Depot believe it or not is a very good quality tool line. Great guarantee and every where to exchange broken tools.

Lowe`s brand tools are also good from what I`ve heard.
Snap-on I believe makes their tools.
A lot of Branded hand tools are made by Snap-on and Matco and sold under other names,,,like Husky and Lowe`s

Crapsman is just that ,,,,,CRAP !!! Thirty years ago they were a good quality tool but I would not give half the cost for the junk they sell now. Although some of the power tools are branded but you just have to be carefull.

Hope this helps,,,,,dq :cheers

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I still have the set of Craftsman hand tools that I bought in 1957. My brother-in-law worked for Proto tool company in 1960 and any hand tools that didn't come out good in the chromeing process was painted yellow and sold by the pound. I have lots of yellow in my tool box. Snap On by far has the best finish and fit. They are just to exspensive. As for other tools, power etc I don't think you can beat Millwaukee [sp?] Some things like my press are made by slave labor in China and it does the job. I believe that I could build one for about what I gave for it. We can do some thing about quality, only buy quality.:) Roy

bobs409

Administrator
I agree, this is a great post! This is one of those that will stur up some conversation. :D Im giving it a 5 on our rating scale.

A little of this and a little of that for me. Mostly Craftsman for hand tools but whatever does the job and doesn't skin my knuckles is fine with me. :p

Craftsman hand tools are good except for their ratchets. They suck! I've returned more than I can recall. But, they are free to exchange so you can't argue too much. I believe I may have some winners now as it's been a while since I had troubles. My theory is that sooner or later, you'll get a good one. :D

The screwdrivers I use (abuse) alot for chisels or even pry bars! And they take a severe beating. I've exchanged many of these but never had one fail while using it for what it was mean't for. (turning screws that is!) :D

Im not a fan of Craftsman power tools but I have/had a few in my time.

Power tools-whatever I can afford at the time. Im into woodworking as well as cars and I think I have one tool from just about every maker in that department... Porter Cable, Dewalt, Black and Decker, Craftsman, Ryobi, Master mechanic etc. Air tools...everything from el cheapo Taiwan to Craftsman and even some Campbell housfield. (all work just fine for me-no complaints)

One of the most troublesome power tools for me so far has been sanders. I've had many different makes and styles and while they do last for a while, I seem to wear them out the most.

I have this one section in the corner of my workshop where all the dead tools go. The pile is starting to get high too. :eek:

I

IgnitionMan

As far as tool chests go, Matco, Craftsman, Husky, Kennedy and a few others are made at Waterloo Manufacturing, Waterloo, Iowa, same as their name brand, Waterloo.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tools

I probably don't belong on this thread, but I do have a little knowledge on tools. My first set was Craftsman, which I bought in 57 also. Was $49.95, box that opened on the top like a tackle box, with a tray in it. Must have been over 150 items in it. The same box is still available today. Much higher price, though. And, the tool count is way down. Had to buy it on a payment plan. Thinking $4.50 per month!
I have used a few Snap On tools, along with Mac, and a few others. The business I used to run required a few tools. I could never justify the expense of the high cost tools. My biggest gripe with these high priced outfits is that they go into these new ( kid ) mechanics, and get them to buy these elaborate sets on time, for like $12,000-15,000 dollars. Then they are around every week to collect, and the guy will never get ahead. He will owe the tool company the rest of his life. And they keep selling him MORE. I've seen more than one guy go broke like that. I just think it is a shame.

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep Fred,,,,,I was one of those kids !!!! Bought the same kind of Craftsman box and worked in the dirt in the back yard on my cars.
Then added tools as I could afford.
Later got a job as a machanic and added a small upper box and added more tools.
After a while had more tools then box !,,,,,,,,Bigger box,,,,more tools ,,,,bigger box,,,,,more tools,,,,etc.
THEN,,,,,got a job here in the local Snap-On wharehouse and bought MORE tools and a used lower box,,,,They closed the warehouse and I went back to work as a machanic,,,,,
Bought more tools and a bigger upper box and a side box,,,,
Then traded all my boxes for a new LARGER top, bottom and side box with an added fold-up shelf,,,,,,,and more tools,,,,,
I`m still buying tools every week or so even though I haven`t worked as a machanic for over ten years !
I also do this with woodworking tools !

MY POINT ?,,,,,

It doesn`t matter what job you do or what field or even if it`s a hobby,,,,,,The right and quality tools make the job easier and faster with the out come better !
Do I regret spending all that money on tools?
NOT ON YOUR LIFE !!
I go nuts when I see a new tool that wjll save me the frustration of trying to do the job with the wrong tool !!!

I guess that I`m just a tool junkie along with having this incurable hot-rod disease !!! LOL !!!

I understand your point,,,,I wanted to do the same thing,,,GET ALL my tools at once,,,,,not knowing if you are going to make it in that field.
There were times that I had a large revolving tool bill but like any other business,YES being a machanic is a business,,,,,you have costs involved to do your job properly.
In machanic`s ,,,TOOLS are everything !!!

Thats my view and I sticking to it !! :p :p LMSOAO !!!!!,,,dq

crawler

I like TM's idea about consolidation of info in some way. It seems like there's enough experience and opinion here to create something really good ... but not sure what.

Here's some stuff I can offer: Below are pictured two old (1960's?) Craftsman powertools I have that are, IMHO, VERY good. One is a die grinder, the other a belt sander. The significant thing about these is that they are from Craftsman's Industrial / Commercial line that I'm guessing were only marketed to professionals? (don't know the history). They are quite different than the regular consumer line (of which I have several other pieces and are nothin' special) These both have very thick aluminum casings, big bearings, have LOTS of torque, and seem almost indestructable. They have gold ID tags and if you can find this old Commercial / Industrial line somewhere, they are (IMO) really worth picking up, even if you half to fix a cord or replace some brushes (I am assuming they made many different powertools in this line?) It kinda seems ironic to GO back in time to get the good tools to work on the good vehicles FROM back in time. (and... NO, I don't work on my car with the belt sander!) :p

Attachments

• sanddgrind.jpg
    sanddgrind.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 130

crawler

Along the same theme is this Black & Decker biggie from the 1950's (?) I have found this to be a VERY well made and virtually indestructable tool. This puts to shame anything B&D has made in the last twenty years.

The one real drawback, I find, of these old tools is the non-existance of variable speed. Here's a good waste of time question: Can these old motors somehow be made variable speed? We hot rod our old wheels... why not our old tools? Any one up for a belt sander race?
:cheers

Attachments

• biggrinderandlabel.jpg
    biggrinderandlabel.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 116