"Tony's latest project'

bill mcnutt

Supporting Member 1
this is the title of the thread i posted back in 2008...WOW where did the time go?? Toiny Shafer built me an awesome motor..474 cubes, 520 hp, lord knows how much torque!!! it was destined for a 64 impala SS. it was nicknamed The Torque Monster. due to unforseen medical and financial issues this build never materialized ..i kept this engine in my garage and maintained it just as tony suggested, frequent start ups for a few seconds at a time, always hoping that some day my lifelong dream of having a 409 car would come true! i disassembled the 64 and parked it covered up...just lost interest. 2 years ago, by chance, i ran across a really nice 63 belair 2dr post a man needed to sell cause of work issues. it was white with green interior, 327, turbo 350. real good driver car. well, the rest is history.. i exhaustd every resource i had and bought the car. my wife, still to this day, stares at me with that "what the hell is wrong with you" you've had that 64 almost 35 years, didn't finish it and now your buying another one?!!! some things just can't be explained, right? ok..present day..took the body off the frame (by myself) the "what was i thinking fits nicely here!!) restored the frame to include currie 9inch ford with disc brakes and 4 link, new driveshaft, etc. installed motor, muncie 4-speed and all related pedals, clutch stuff. no rust on bottom of car so cleaning and painting was easy. just became a new member of the forum again. hope to include pictures soon. God bless all of you..bill mcnutt ftworth tx mcnuttbill@ymail.com

CATS 09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice story Bill, I especially like the part where you got the wifes attention with buying the second car, now there's one for the both of you to build, a he's and hers.

bill mcnutt

Supporting Member 1
thanks guys for the kind words. looking forward to finally getting a car built. if I can just figure out how to post pictures on this forum i'll show you my progress!! thanks Jim Sullivan for encouraging me later Bill

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bill, the pictures should be fairly easy to upload. Click the "upload a file" and find where the photos are stored on your computer. Select the photos and when they appear as thumbnails click on upload full-size the click on "post reply". If you need any help, just post.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome back Bill!!!! Sound's like a fun project.... Do you still have the 64 ??

bill mcnutt

Supporting Member 1
hi don..thanks for the nice comment...yes, i do have the 64 SS. it is a real nice second owner car that i've had for many years. my dream car was always a black on red 63 409 SS car. i never forgot the one i saw in 63. it basically haunted me all my life. when i got out of the service my desires changed and i had to have a 427 corvette, which i got and street raced for many years, spending all my money on engines, etc. it wasn't until years later that i started to relive my teenage dreams and fell in love with the 409 cars again. searched for a 63ss car but never found one. i drove by a church one day and saw a lady pull in, in a beautiful white 64 SS impala with red interior. i fell in love with the car and bugged her for 3 years before she finally sold it to me. so!!!! the stories about little old ladies that only drive their cars to church and back IS true!!! this wasn't the car of my dreams but decided to make this my 409 car. 327-250 HP, automatic, pwr steering, pwr brakes, AC and tilt wheel!! about 3 years ago after disassembling the 64 to build a ground up 409 i found the 63 2dr belair and HAD to have it. i already had the tony shafer 409 ( 474 stroker) currie 9inch rear with 4 link, muncie 4 speed, etc. and everything stored in my garage. everything was interchangeable. so, to make a short story long, the 64 is stored and i need to move it really. all the body work is done and primered. has a beautiful above average red interior and every single part to go back original and lots of new parts. probably gonna be hard to sell it torn down. thought about trading it in return for body and paint work on my 63!! i'm doing a frame off build on the 63 and hope to have it going in the spring. i apoligize for the long response...Bill

bill mcnutt

Supporting Member 1
You Bet!!!! heck I'm just lucky to even be around, the dumb things I do!!! sure nice seeing that your still going strong. hope to stay active in the hobby..best to you...bill and Vicki (yeah she remembers you also)