Things to do on a Saturday afternoon

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Most of you guys know I've been struggling on a '62 Bubbletop for over a year now. When I acquired the car it had no front clip. Recently I acquired a '62 two door sedan that needs a few parts as well. Rather than part out the 2 door sedan, we decided to make the effort to totally dismantle a 1962 BA 4 door sedan I purchased about a year ago on Ebay (my bid was $409!).

We started this Saturday morning at about 8:00. The donor car was a low mileage Bel Air with a 6 automatic. It had been parked in 1993 and the motor was locked up. I know a lot of you guys might hate me for parting this out, but I have 2 four door parts cars, and since the other one is a driver, I thought this one should be sacrificed first. I bet I put the other one back in circulation (hope this makes some of you feel better!). I first removed all the brightwork up front and then most of the badging. Then the hood and trunk (pretty decent shape for a 40 plus year old car). Then we cut off the front a rear bumpers. Had to use the "hear wrench" a bit on those. Then off came the front fenders and the inners wells. Next we pulled the motor and trans (which I donated to a buddy who plans on using it for parts on his Chevy truck).

Then we gutted the interior (anything that would burn) and the 4 doors. That included the seats and interior trim parts. Removed the glass out front and rear.

After lunch (pizza and cold beer -- it was 96 degrees outside) we set out to "harvest" the quarters (which will find their way to the 2 door sedan). I snagged the rear corners and the lower trunk lip as a single unit, to go to the bubbletop. The most fun part was cutting the top off the old sedan. We called it the "Flintstone mobile", since it was starting to look pretty bare :)

We stopped about 6:00 PM when I got a call from my lovely wife who reminded me we had company coming over for dinner. Here's a pic of what was left after a fun afternoon with wrenches, a lift, and a plasma cutter (we used conventional "heat wrenches" and a SawZall as well).

Tomorow I haul the parts off and finish cutting the trunk and floor pans out for use in a third car ('61 BA Sport Coupe). So while we did sacrifice a fairly solid '62 BA 4 door (hey, they made 550,00 of those things), we did collect some valuable parts that will make their way into three other X frame cars. A good way to "recycle" in my mind. I took lots of pics, but here's one of my buddies who helped me most of the day. Many thanks to them!

Cheers!
Tom K

Attachments

• 1962 bel air 2 door post.jpg
    1962 bel air 2 door post.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 322

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Wrong picture!

OOps! That's a shot of the '62 2 door sedan, a recipient of the "donor" car. Let see if I can get this file name straight this time!

Tom K

Attachments

• 62 ba cut up for parts 017.jpg
    62 ba cut up for parts 017.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 305

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Another pic

Now that I got it figured out, here's another.

Tom K

Attachments

• 62 ba cut up for parts 021.jpg
    62 ba cut up for parts 021.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 311

bobs409

Administrator
I hate to see it but what's done is done. I know your not someone who does things without thinking them through so im sure you had the best reasons. No putting that one back together now anyway! lol

Now for business... The vultures are circling...how's the driver side rear inner fender? (or should that be outer fender well) The part with the gas filler hole in the bottom pic. I could use one for my '63 2 door and it might be the same. Around here in Pa, we don't even have parts cars and if you do find one, this part is toast! When I open my gas filler door, I can see my shoes. :D :p

If it's good and for sale, let me know.:)

mad max

Parts car????? What is that. Here in Florida we only get what drips down from the eastern states. Not much of anything.:cuss

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Parts cars

I know some of you hate to see these old cars cut up.
In the minnesota area where I am, these old four doors and plenty of two door cars also are still plentiful.
Unfortunately, they are worth more in parts than they are as a car.
I cut up quite a few cars during the summers (peak car season)
The problem is unless it is an SS or something rare they are not worth restoring.
who wants to put a bunch of money into a car that will only be worth less than half of what it costs to restore the vehicle.
Don't get me wrong, I would not cut up a restorable car, but they all can't be saved.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Leftover stuff

Bob, I did carefully drill out the welds around the gas inlet area, but to be honest, I didn't take too good a look at that inner. If it's worth "harvesting" I'll cut it out Monday using the plasma cutter (little or no distortion). Let me know any specific dimensions you might require.

I plan on removing the entire front dash and using iton the '62 bubbletop. Might even cut the front cowl, since it's pretty clean. I plan on cutting the pans out and other parts early next week. It hit 100 degrees today and I needed to take a break...

If it makes anybody feel better, I've got another '62 "more door" that is a driver, and I decided to keep it intact and go for this one. Looks like at least two other '62s will be "saved" with these parts, and if Bob's '63 fits, that'll make three :)

Oh yeah, make that four! I plan to use the pans on my 1961 BA sport coupe. Looking better all the time :)

Cheers,
Tom K

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
supply and demand

Tom -

If some cars don't donate parts, all that's really left are aftermarket reproduction parts. Those are real expensive and not everything is made anyway. And if you can find parts, many of them are unsafe or don't work. Many of these cars were modified in their day as well, so a perfect resto is an image of something that existed or could have existed back then - showroom or not.

Guys would wander through the shop and tell me what to do with my car. You just can't reason with some people and one day I demonstrated that the trunk floor was flexing like aluminum foil and pushed right through. Blood all over, had to get a tetanus shot and still have a scar or two on that arm. But no matter how many things got pointed out as problems, it didn't change because the car looked so good. None of them felt it was important enough to lay their own wallet down though.

So you just have to trust YOUR judgement. One really good car is worth (how many?) that don't work and never will without lots of time, money and parts - parts from other worse off cars. Ask some of the resto guys where they got their parts. So you lucked out to have a car to use to resurrect your other one and help out some other guys along the way too. Life's short, enjoy your car the way you want it.

BTW - still looking for a good '62 posi?

- Michael

bobs409

Administrator
Leftover stuff

Originally posted by Tom Kochtanek
Bob, I did carefully drill out the welds around the gas inlet area, but to be honest, I didn't take too good a look at that inner. If it's worth "harvesting" I'll cut it out Monday using the plasma cutter (little or no distortion). Let me know any specific dimensions you might require.

Cheers,
Tom K

Tom,

That's great news for my 63! Im betting it's the same as the 2 door cars. I'd chance it.

As long as it's not in too bad of shape, Im interested. I can fix some small holes as I have a wire welder if needed but of course, nothing too bad. I trust your judgement. lol

My intentions are to seperate the outer from the inner on mine by drilling out the spot welds where the factory joined them. If you wanted to do that to remove it, that would be good (but time consuming on your part) or an easier way if you didn't care about the inner well, you could cut through that and I can seperate the welds myself. (hope that makes sense) ;)

Whatever is easier for you is fine with me. I'd just be happy to finally be able to do the quarters on my car. This part has been holding me up. They make the outer full quarters but that wasn't much good without the wheel house.

Check it out and let me know the price and shipping charges.

Thanks,

Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Cutting her up

Bob:

I was more interested in the outer pieces, and as such didn't pay too much attention to those inners. I will do that tomorrow.

I was planning on "harvesting" the pans and some other underneath parts. To be truthful, after I got what I needed I was just going to cut her up and throw it in the bed of a pickup to get rid of the remains :( Now that I know you need the rear inner section I will try to be a bit more careful (no guarantees, I've already cut through my quarters I was trying to save when practsing with that plasma cutter (I now know that it has lower heat ranges of operation -- a bit late!). If I can get them off you can have them for free. Hope they are of some use. I will cut what I think you need, take photos and then you can decide whether it's worth shipping.

Michael: Yes, i am still in the market for a posi unit. I have three more '62s that I am following up on this Fall, one just 20 miles away (an Impala with factory air that I once test drove before the kid roasted the 327), an SS with factory air that has been sitting on the ground so long that it's almost in two sections (but has nice SS trim and that A/C package for $200) and another (you guessed it) 4 door with a 6 stick on the column (one can always use factory pedals and linkage). If my luck holds fast they'll all be open rear axles and I'll still be in the hunt for a posi !!!

More later,

Tom K

bobs409

Administrator
Cutting her up

Originally posted by Tom Kochtanek
Bob:

I was more interested in the outer pieces, and as such didn't pay too much attention to those inners. I will do that tomorrow.

I was planning on "harvesting" the pans and some other underneath parts. To be truthful, after I got what I needed I was just going to cut her up and throw it in the bed of a pickup to get rid of the remains :( Now that I know you need the rear inner section I will try to be a bit more careful (no guarantees, I've already cut through my quarters I was trying to save when practsing with that plasma cutter (I now know that it has lower heat ranges of operation -- a bit late!). If I can get them off you can have them for free. Hope they are of some use. I will cut what I think you need, take photos and then you can decide whether it's worth shipping.

Tom K

Thanks Tom! I can't argue with that price. I hope it's a good one. If things work out, let me know the shipping charges so I can send a money order to cover it. I'd be very happy to pay something for your trouble too.

If you don't mind a suggestion...I'd save every single piece that you can from this car. Even things you don't think you will ever need. You can get some bucks for that frame ya know. I've heard of them selling for $500 or better. In the rust belt, these frames took a beating and alot are rotted or broken. Might as well make the most of a sad situation. :cry The scrap yard wouldn't get much from me I can tell ya! LOL :D

BTW, it's just the outer wheel well with the gas tank filler compartment in it that I need. (the part that can be seen in the pic-so no need to be careful with the inner well) My inner is good on this car.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Upon inspection....

Bob:

I did an early mornign inspection and found the lower section of that "inner piece" (the part with the gas door cutout) to be in pretty good condition, but the lower section of it has seen some corrosion ((imagine that!!!)) -- I noted that it can be cut out or drilled out (the welds). It was sooooo hot this morning (over 100 degrees F.) that I passed on working on the remains for the day.

Belive it or not, I would like to save the inner-inner section fo this for a third car I have (that's makes four total that this donor can help support!), sio I hope to be somewhat careful in separating the two pieces :)

I take your suggestion to save everything to heart -- the frame is destined to sit underneath the '62 bubbletop, for example. I am "harvesting" the dash as well for that vehicle.

I will be back over there Wednesday, but the weather forecast is HOT, HOT, HOT, so I don't know how much I will get done. I put your name on the piece so I remember to take it off with some care :) :) :)

On Wednesday I will be hleping my buddies put that 509 BBC I own in to a rail car that is owned by a new acquantence. He is testing out the car at the drags mid-September and we offered to use the 509 as a "test motor". Hope he doesn't blow it up :)

More later when I get back to it after the Fahrenheit drops a bit...

Best,
Tom K

P.S. The offer remains: free harvesting, free parts, maybe even free shipping if it doesn't break by budget. That's the least I can do to compensate for the effort you put into the web site !!!

bobs409

Administrator
You take your time Tom, there's no hurry. It's starting to get hot around here too so I know how it feels. Whenever you get to it, that's when it gets done. I think it's just spot welds that connect the two halves so if you have a spot weld cutter, it should come apart fairly easy.

Like I did say, I can repair it as long as it's not too bad so most likely, it's usable to me. That's the nice thing about metal, you can always add some if needed. ;) I can repair that to "like new" I bet! (blowing his own horn) Just give me something to work with and an hour or two of monster garage and American chopper, and im good to go. :D

Thanks,

Bob