taillight problem

smittys09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Any ideas would be helpful, I put a new tailight panel and end coves on my 62 impala, also a new American auto wire loom from the plug behind rear seat to the new inside brake/ directional and back up light, outside brake/directional are orig. wiring. Turn the key to on position or start engine and directionals and brake lights work great, pull the headlight switch to on position and turn left or right directional and it will flash and divert power to the other side and they will flash also??? I had a 62 new pontiac a long time ago and one day I turned the directional on and the horn started beeping, same issue , no prob. dealer fixed it. I guess I could drive in daytime only! THANX Smitty

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
American Autowire wiring for the trunk starts at the dash ( where it plugs into the underdash harness I’m the drivers side corner under the dash in a factory metal mount that hood the male and female plastic plugs ) then it runs along the rocker in a plastic wire cover to and over the rear wheel well and all the way to the drivers side taillight and it has a plug for another separate harness to the passenger side rear 1/4 tailight ( the harness also includes the rear license light connection). The harness also has a brown wire to the gas tank gauge just behind the seat and a plug connector at the top of the wheel well to plug into the “separate” trunk light harness for 2 taillights and 2 back up lights.
no plug behind the seat unless the wires are spliced and not factory

with all this information I am confused to what harness you replaced ( I never heard of a American Autowire harness that you described) after 8 frame off 1962 restorations I have done with new AAW wiring harness to the trunk, trunk light harness and passenger side rear 1/4 light extension harness

sounds like you need to check or replace your turn signal switch ( Even a new repro one could be bad) on the top of steering column under the dash and check the wires to that switch that are a part of your underdash wiring harness.
there is only one turn signal switch under the dash
Or your headlite switch is defective or wires to the headlight switch are not good
Any splicing or bad wires on your underwiring harness for headlite switch or underdash wiring harness wires to the turn signal switch?

Also adjust the cable from the turn signal arm on column the connects to the turn signal switch ( slide the cable front or back by adjusting the switch that has slotted mounts on the 2 mounting screws - make sure cable is connected correctly to the turn signal switch in the special clamp on top of the switch.

Paul