Some interesting pics

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Weel today I travelled to Odessa, MO to hopfully connect with TomO and see some neat cars from the Kansas City area. So I headed West about 110 miles in a light drizzle and when I got to the site, I found that they had cancelled the show (I thought it was to be held "rain or shine" :( ).

Undaunted, I headed back towards Columbia and remembered a Website for a new "muscle car" place in the town of Warrensburg, MO. I had bookmarked their website back home, so a quick call to my wife to look up their address and phone number, and off I went!

Saw a lot of real high dollar vehicles, all in very nice condition. Lots of rare birds, including a Boss 429 with those heni heads, a Daytona Superbird, and other neat stuff. He had just sold a 1961 Impala Bubbletop (OK, call it a "sport coupe" if you will!) with a 348 four speed setup with 3-2s. Missed seeing that one. There was a 1960 Impala with the same (4 speed and 3x2) setup, which was very nice. Saw a really special 1962 BelAir post car with a BBC as well. The neatest might have been this 1956 Nomad, meticulously restored, with aluminum dash and digital instruments, and ---- you guessed it --- a 409 :)

Here's a pic of that car. It's kinda dark, as the full lighting wasn't on (I was the only customer in the place and they were closing up in an hour or so).

Enjoy,

TomK

Attachments

• nomad001.jpg
    nomad001.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 179

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It gets better!

So I asked the guy about the car, and he mentions that several people had been interested in the car, but were wanting a different engine, something like a small block Chevy. He suggested that the 409 had turned a few potential buyers away.

So I offered to take the 409 off his hands, and he said he'd like a hot 350 all set up in exchange. I think he was serious! Made me want to part with that Corvette L82 engine I have in my pickup truck :)

Here's a shot of that engine. It's a 2x4 setup, with hiperf heads and aftermarket carbs. No numbers stamped on the pad, and it looked like a truck block to me (dipstick on the passenger side?). No matter, I might connect back with him and see if I can help this poor guy out! BTW, he was asking $36,900 for the Nomad!

Cheers,
TomK

Attachments

• nomad002.jpg
    nomad002.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 155

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, Did a little magic for ya !!

Attachments

• re-exposure of nomad001.jpg
    re-exposure of nomad001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 168

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
How could anybody look at that engine compartment and wish it had a smallblock? I mean a smallblock is just so... small.

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What???

Who in their right mind would want a small block instead of a 409 in this car? It's ten notches neater with a 409.

I'd ask to drive it because there may be something wrong with it and they think a small block would perform better. Or something.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Image enhancement

First of all, I want to nominate DQ for the "picture enhancement" award the site shold be putting out on a regular basis :)

This is at least the second or third time he has done this for me, and I know there have been others!

Second, great suggestion to drive it before making any serious offer (I really think the saleman was serious, at least I took it that way!). Since there are two too many numerical digits to the left of the comma on the asking price ($36,900) I won't be tempted to write a check for the whole package :)

Hey Aubrey, why not offer to trade him even up for that '60 Nomad you had up for sale :) ??? But then I wouldn't be able to pry that 409 out of his grasp....

Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts. This is not the most important thing on my mind right now, so I plan to revisit the place with some buddies soon, and might drop the suggestion that should a buyer present themselves with a purchase offer for the car, and it wold benefit all parties to "remove that nasty ol' 409" that I'd be interested in helping them out. And, oh yes, I will need to take her out for a test drive to check the engine out (too bad it's mated to an automatic right now :).

Cheers,
TomK

Tom,
Somehow I don't think my old 60 would be up to snuff;)
Have a bad feeling anyhow.... the reserve was missed only be a couple hundred $$... looks like one of the bidders is going to buy it:cry
%&#$*&%$!
Still a few $$ short to finish the Belair:cuss

I must applaud you too, Tom.
That is very conciderate of you to offer that fellow to help him get that 409 out of the 56;)
Not everyone would do that...
Well, OK.... maybe not everyone who isn't a member of this group;)

:cheers