Shoebox 409 or 8.0

Robert Jacobson

Greetings to all. I,ve been a 409 lover since before I could drive when I got a ride in a 62 ss 409 impala convertable which had open headers with a guy who could shift a four speed like no one I've seen to this day. Anyway, I picked up a 425 hp 409 in 1968 that was sitting on a pallet in a marina for $500. I sold the velvet drive marine transmission for $250 that was attached to it. After investigating my new acquisition, I found that the engine ran backwards and was built by Aero Marine. Contacting them, I learned that they made ten of these engines, five running in reverse rotation, and also found out that the engine had a 3/8 inch stroker crank. I installed it in a Stevens flat bottom drag boat and ran it several years. Now it runs standard rotation and resides in my 55 chevy. It's on it's third set of pistons and has been bored .110, has an Isky z-33 camshaft. two holley 750 double pumpers on a Mickey Thompson crossram intake. I had the crankshaft internally balanced so I could run a lightweight L-88 flywheel and clutch in front of the Muncie M-22. Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Robert Jacobson

Welcome:cheers I thought my 65 was rare:bow Pat
Thank you for the welcome. What's interesting is that the surface of the block (front right) where usually identifying numbers are usually stamped, is completely smooth and the "x" on the front of the block isn't there either. I talked to Aero Marine about this and was told they bought ten blocks as service parts and built these for an off shore racing boat project that didn't pan out and ended up selling the engines. It still has the original brass freeze plugs they put in. I'll take some pics as now would be a good time since the front clip is off the car. I'll check the casting numbers to see what year it is.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great story...:clap Welcome aboard. If my memory serves me correct sounds like you have the 3.65 crankshaft used in the Z11.

Robert Jacobson

Great story...:clap Welcome aboard. If my memory serves me correct sounds like you have the 3.65 crankshaft used in the Z11.
The stroke is 3.875 which leads me to believe it's a 427 bbc crank but I can't say for sure. It has a set of Ross pistons .110 over, 9.5 compression ratio to let me use premium pump gas.

Robert Jacobson

The stroke is 3.875 which leads me to believe it's a 427 bbc crank but I can't say for sure. It has a set of Ross pistons .110 over, 9.5 compression ratio to let me use premium pump gas.
Sorry, it can't be a 427 crank because the 427 is 4.75. When you get old the first thing you lose is your memory. Can't remember what the second thing is.

Robert Jacobson

engine shots 2.JPGengine shots 3.JPG Engine shots.JPG
Thank you for the welcome. What's interesting is that the surface of the block (front right) where usually identifying numbers are usually stamped, is completely smooth and the "x" on the front of the block isn't there either. I talked to Aero Marine about this and was told they bought ten blocks as service parts and built these for an off shore racing boat project that didn't pan out and ended up selling the engines. It still has the original brass freeze plugs they put in. I'll take some pics as now would be a good time since the front clip is off the car. I'll check the casting numbers to see what year it is.
Here's some pics.