Roll Bar

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
As I have started on the roll bar for the 62 I was wondering if there is an ideal spot on the frame to land the two bars that will come off of the top of the main hoop and go to the rear?
I do plan to weld them to the frame just curious if some place is better than other.
Thanks for any advice. James.
20240829_163630.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
Thanks Dan. Would you do something different if you were building a new one?

Reactions: 327

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Dan. Would you do something different if you were building a new one?
Yes! Originally it was done without the X. I had the X added and my impression was the joints instead of being attached only to the down bars would be partially on the hoop and partially on the frame. More weld area at the hoop and frame equals more strength. When a checked progress I saw what was being done but I am too nice and didn’t want to ask him to redo any of his work. He worked alone out of his garage and is a nice guy.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would have thought exactly the same thing, but I have seen a lot of drag guys build just like that. Not so much circle track guys, however. Maybe it is prettier or easier?? Maybe the strength difference is minimal?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would have thought exactly the same thing, but I have seen a lot of drag guys build just like that. Not so much circle track guys, however. Maybe it is prettier or easier?? Maybe the strength difference is minimal?
Angularity is your friend. I think you don’t see a lot of stuff in drag racing as other motorsports because drag racing is behind by at least 15 years especially when it comes to safety. Have you ever seen another form of racing where a plastic seat that looks like it came from a laundry mat is ok in a car going 150 mph? I shouldn’t talk because I still have a bench seat at 132 mph. But at least I KNOW it’s unsafe. And let’s not forget flammable upholstery and carpet.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just wrap yourself in bubble wrap. It will be fine.
Couple of prayers and bubble wrap, that's what I do. Then again, my wagon has only gone over 100mph a couple times. I'll let you use my bubble wrap James.
On a more serious note about B and (in my case) C pillar roll bar placement. My race chassis builder is going to work on putting roll/side impact bars in my wagon in such a manner for us to still get in and out. We are probably going to run tubing along the rocker panel under the floor to tie everything together to the frame. Can I get some photos posted on here showing how people have done that under the floor? How would you build a roll bar for a 4 door/wagon? My #1 goal is to make the car "safer" for my 3 kids (from side impact) who will be strapped into car seats in the back when we take road trips. The 64 wagon I tried to buy in high school was wrapped around a telephone pole the night before I was supposed to take possession and there was no saving it. Passengers in the back would have been dead for sure. Friend of mine races his 1963 wagon and like everyone else, he would have done his roll bar different. I had a chance to look over his car again 2 weeks ago and the C pillar seams to be the greatest mystery at this point. I don't care if the window in back gets roll bar in its view. I'm not going to fill the back of my wagon with a system like his 63 wagon has. His car has no C pillar protection and that is the most important part of my build.
image000001002.jpg
image000002.jpg
20240817_175305.jpg