Radiator shroud and fan clutch

Rondecurtins

Well Known Member
Here are two photos of my 62 409 of my radiator shroud. Is this the correct shroud for a 62?
In the photos you can see that I have a fan extension instead of a clutch. I want to replace the extension with a clutch but am confused when looking online or in the catalogs which clutch is a proper one.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 49

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fan shroud looks like the correct one to me. According to the GM parts book, same part 59 thru 63 348/409. I have heard that the 63 part has the 2 bottom bolt holes slotted from the bottom up to the bolt hole. This was to facilitate installation on the line. I can see how it would help. I have never saw one, but I am pretty green yet!
Jeff

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Should be like this IMG_1990.jpeg
Murph this is my 63 with the slots in the lower holes

IMG_0427.jpeg

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The original gm part number is 3916141
Ac cars got a different one
Big thing is a 3” stud spacing for the fan and
1 1/12” for the water pump and pulleys.It will give you 1 1/2” of offsett from the pulley to the fan.Your fan looks pretty close to half in half out as it should be.Your spacer looks longer than an 1 1/2” but your shroud has been cut and looks shorter than stock.
Here are a few of the fan clutches I have.I was told that a CK stamp was for big blocks and CJ was for small blocks
IMG_3963.jpeg
IIMG_3964.jpeg

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure If I may be 1/2 right. After looking closer and at my specimens it almost appears to be the correct shroud that someone has cut of at the front side of the full rib next to the rear. From there forward it looks real close in the pics. R63ss, the loose shroud you pictured, does it have some braze where the 2 1/2's are joined? I almost looks like so. I also see 2 rivets, whereas the steel ones I have seen normally are spot welded. Do the lower notches look factory "stamped" or like something that was done as an afterthought?
Jeff"

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Originals came in two pieces.Yes somewhere along the way it was braised,and screwed.When I restored it I removed the braising, welded the holes and tacked it together.The slots are factory stamped