Putting a 409 in a 283 Impaa SS

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
OK guys I'm new to this site. I finally found a 64 Impala SS body to put my old 409 from the 70s in. Its a 283 car. How different is the radiator shroud? Anyone have a source for the dash tach housing for 64s?

I'm also into Pontiac fan. There is a company that repros almost every old hiperf exhaust manifold for Pontiacs, even enlarges some of them for modern exhaust$300-4000 a set. He sounded a little interested in doing a 409 set. I never had a hipo set, and tossed the 340 hp 64s in the dumpster when we added headers in 1970, if I only knew.

Plan is to build a true 409 and a stroker motor also for the 64, Unfortunately its an auto car instead of the 4 speed I drove in the 70s.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
engine swap

Get out the mouse!

A 'W' is the engine for any X frame Chevy.

There subtle differences in original 409 cars and the small block equipped ones. The fan shroud is different (shorter) and a few other items as well.

As for repro hi performance exhaust manifolds, they are already out there on the market.

Keep on 'W' in'

Fredw

Well Known Member
283xW

I used to drive my 64 Impala SS with a 348/250hp engine instead of the orignal 283. I have made some modifications in front suspension (stronger springs) and cut part of the fan shroud to avoid heatting my W as I've learned in old bobs 409 page! It runs very well until today! If you get some info about installing the dash tach, please share it with me!!

bobs409

Administrator
Here's a pic of a 348/409 fan shroud from our reference area:

ref26.jpg

The idea is to have half the fan blades in/out of the shroud for proper air flow.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I know the ideal for any fan is half coverage and no other free area around shroud other than through radiator. I had read somewhere you have to cut the 283 shroud shorter for the W motor. Is it the correct heigth for the fan.

My "first car" in 1970 was a 340 hp 4 speed Impala SS. Racewd it in IHRA in Dallas after adding 609 heads, dual quads with sideways Holeys, Hookers(hated to cut the fenderwell) Crane 310/320 F Nitro .580.590 lift cam. Ran 12.20s @ 108 but broke rockers on a regular basis. Got enough parts to build two '09s (extra rods and cranks if anyone needs them, along with a 348 tripower w/ carbs, heads and exhaust manifolds I'l never use).It got a 327 after the '09 dropped a valve racing a 55 Chevy on Luna Road when it was the booneys in Dallas. Then sold the body, never got paid and stil have the title!

Picked up this 64 Impala SS auto car minus motor and tranny a couple of years ago. Blue/blue A/C car taht is going to get a W motor either a true 409 or a stroker motor.It might even get the Z-11 aluminum water pump I have.

So I'm looking for what I'l need to change or re engineer. Maybe a better sterring box too like the 605 kits or maybe adapting a Camaro/Firebird box.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Skip,,,I `64 small block shroud will work if you cut it down. The one in my `62 is the style you need.
If you look at the picture you will see how much to cut.

you will have clearence problems using a 409 and a 605 box,

Attachments

• shroud.jpg
    shroud.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 175