powerglides 101

bobs409

Administrator
Im freshening up the ol' powerglide with new seals, etc and have a few questions. Any idea on how many quarts this will take?

I have it out of the car and will drain the convertor too. What amount is good to put back in this?

Also, does a powerglide have a filter?

I found a source for the Type A fluid so I will be using that. I'll be replacing all O-rings such as fill tube, speedometer gear housing etc. Also shifter shaft seal, front pump and rear housing seal.

If I missed anything, please let me know.

Just about done with the 283's spruce up. Thorough cleaning, painting and a new gasket set installed. This one is so clean inside, you could eat off of it. According to the paperwork that came with car, this engine was rebuilt and installed in 1975. Should have about 27,000 miles on that rebuild. (and shows it) She purrs like a kitten and absolutely no smoke or noise.

Here it is:

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 223

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is it a castiron or aluminum powerglide. I have a Motors Manual for 1960 and 1965 that probably have both capacities. Powerglides just don't have enough gears.:D Roy p.s. I'll go out to the garage and look them up.

bobs409

Administrator
Roy,

It's a 1963 aluminum PG. There's enough gears in there for my 283 with peg leg rear 63 Impala. (they can't all be race cars ya know) :D

Yesterday I started scraping 40 years of goo off of this PG!:evil

The most important thing I need to know is how much fluid to put back into the convertor?

Thanks,

Bob

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That old Motors Manual is a wealth of info on rebuilding a powerglide but it doesn't say how much to put in. It does say to not over fill as it causes foaming of the fluid and can cause cavatation which can do damage. It says, put in 2 quarts and start engine and continue to add oil until it reaches full. That doesn't seem to be enough to start up on but that is what it says. :confused: Roy

Super(sport)Man

Well Known Member
Your PG has a filter......or rather, SHOULD HAVE a filter:D

The reason for only putting a couple of quarts into it at startup is because it takes a while for the fluid to get from the pan to the now empty converter (which will take about 6 quarts, by itself, to fill) If you dump a gallon in without the engine running, you'll have a nice big puddle on the floor below the dipstick tube.

hey Bob... I would add as much as you can to the converter... should be able to get a quart in there anyhow. Then assemble and install the trans. Add another 3 quarts... then start it up. You will immediately have to add another quart. Now, with the engine running ( your starter motor will not be engaged ), you can systematically shift the trans to R, to N, to D, to L, then back to N ( with the park brake on ) you can go back under the hood and re-check, finding that it needs another quart.
I believe they hold a total of around 7 quarts.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys. Sounds like a plan.

Now, I suppose I better ask one more question...

I can get Type A fluid but it's a no name brand. (unilab) Should I go with that or would the dexron III be the better choice?