Polara

Polara

Retired car lover, mostly into Mopar but there's a few Chevies in my fave list and I just found one so I'm here to find out about it. The new possibility is a 61 Impala Sport Coupe; (just found that out reading here, always called them bubbletops); and since I know next to nothing about them here I am. According to the 348-409 indicator chart the rear emblem can denote engine if I'm reading it right, does the emblem on the back of this establish anything?
Impala tail.JPG

Yes, a true barn find.

Oh, and these are the ones I know anything at all about.
DSCN4179.JPG

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Typically that crossed flag emblem indicated that the car came with some form of the 348 engine.:welcome2We are here to help.ask away!!!!

Polara

Thanks, that's what I gleaned from the chart. Next up, this shot leads me to believe it may have been a 3 speed column shifted, what say you fellas? The car is way tight in the shed and the doors are off, laying across the front seat so access is very limited. The fella couldn't tell me if it came with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine, said it turned over but wasn't sure which pile of stuff it was under to look at the other day so I didn't dare ask what kind of transmission it had.
DSCN4749.JPG
Here's an underhood if that may help.
And thanks for the help - don't really have time for another project but this is one that's really hard to pass on.
DSCN4747.JPG

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
From the look of the engine mounts,V8 of some kind.It was not a tri power car as the coil mounted on the firewall on those.From what we can see,it looks pretty good.

Polara

Okay, next question up is "What's something like this worth?" He gave me a number that I think is fairly reasonable but I'd like to bounce it against some people that know more about these. I have a couple more pics to add that are the best indication of body condition as far as I could see it. I've seen a couple threads here showing some mad metal skills but I have nowhere near that level of expertise. I know most of the time you'll end up upside down on any car resto but I'd rather not be buying in at an unreasonable price.
DSCN4740.JPG DSCN4741.JPG DSCN4744.JPG

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It's hard to assess value without looking directly at the vehicle, but those 1961 Sport Coupes are very desirable and as such command high prices.

From the pics it appears that the usual spots have corrosion (lower quarters, wheel lips, rockers, lower leg on front fender). I had a similar purchase recently and once we got into things we ended up cutting the quarters, rockers, trunk, etc. and they "looked OK" upon initial inspection (i.e., from 2-3 feet). Expect the worse and plan that way forward.

Might check a source such as Ebay to see what they are going for in unrestored condition.

Can you share what price point you might be at?

Cheers!
TomK

Polara

Well, he's asking 5k as it sits but of course I haven't had a real good look at all corners due to the tight location nor have I seen the motor/trans yet. Aftermarket steering wheel and wheels is really all I know for sure now. For myself I think I'm backing off as I'm already way behind on current projects and don't want to mess with trying to flip it or any of that. So, if anyone reading is thinking they have time and money I'll share his phone # but not publicly.