Piston choice question

mikec60

Rebuilding a 348. It will be a stock build for a cruiser. I see the cast pistons one of the main vendors sell are Rebuilders Choice brand. Question is are these decent quality or is there a better choice? Should I go with 9.5 or 10.5 ratio? Thanks, Mike

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rebuilding a 348. It will be a stock build for a cruiser. I see the cast pistons one of the main vendors sell are Rebuilders Choice brand. Question is are these decent quality or is there a better choice? Should I go with 9.5 or 10.5 ratio? Thanks, Mike
I went to the "Rebuilders Choice" website and saw lots of NOS packaging on the shelf in the pics. Nylen & Ertel pistons (same piston different box), Thompson bearings, old Federal Mogul & Sealed Power boxes. Personally if it is a quality piston and intended for a driver with light "burn a tire" duties I would not be afraid of it. I would want to ask if it had steel reinforced pin bosses like the OE pistons. Some cheap cast pistons do not have this feature. Newer "hypereutic" pistons do not have this feature but are quality parts. Depending on cost, a slight uptick in price might make the Icon piston a viable option. There are lots of variables here. Verify your compression & deck height. Don't over think it! Yes do it right, but spending an extra 2K on unnecessary "fluff" is a waste.
Jeff

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's where it all begins, the choices will be clearer when piston size is determined.
Then ask yourself what compression ratio do you want to run?
More compression is more HP, but you also need to control your timing curve more closely.
And decide what octane fuel you will run.
I started with a used block needing .080 custom pistons.
You will hopefully find off the shelf ones for your needs.
I run 9.5+ comp. ratio, burn 87 octane always.
Sniper FI with timing control.
When the Sniper works, it's great!
I believe the Sniper 2 is improved over mine.

Camshaft intake valve closing can help with higher static compression.
Static vs Dynamic.