Paint Stripper

vanst

Well Known Member
I need to chemicly strip the rear fenders of my 55 convertible, the rest of the car was plastic media blasted before the shop went under, long story. Could somone suggest a stripper that WORKS, I have used "Aircraft Stripper" and "Captian Lee's" with little success. The car is old laquer paint, primer and a primer surfacer, these products are only removing one layer at a time. I also tried the plastic wrap over the stripper trick with about the same results. Is there a company in CA that ditributes a good stripper? A friend of mine used a product from there years back but can't remember the name, this is typical for him! Any ideas would be helpful, thanks. Terry

bobs409

Administrator
Have you considered sanding the paint off? I found that it's alot faster to sand it off with 80-100 grit paper than to strip it. I use a 6" sanding disc on my combination buffer/grinder.

Can't offer any suggestions on the stripper. Everyone I used worked about as good as you mentioned. When I need to use it, I go to Walmart and buy the cheapest thing on the shelf. :D

Keeping the stripper wet for as long as possible is the way to use it though so keep up with the plastic method.

vanst

Well Known Member
Thanks maybe I'll try that and maybe I could use a stripper to clean up the last little bit remaining. Terry

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Believe it or not,,,,,A painter friend uses a razor blade scraper to remove laquer painted cars !! Seen him do it. Nice and clean,,,,dq

65Impala409

Well Known Member
I agree with dq, at a body shop I was helping at they used the chemical stripper with a razor blade.... It worked really good on some 65 fenders that had the old laquer paint layered on it.... Good luck
Ned
65Impala409

vanst

Well Known Member
Thanks guys the razor and stripper seems to be doing the job quite well. After I brush the stripper on I've been covering it with a plastic bag for about 20 minutes and it scrapes right off. It's pretty thick the factory paint is still there! Thanks again Terry:) :cheers