Old Guys Rule

Charlie Dawson

Supporting Member 6
Hi, Charlie Dawson here in Virginia Beach, Va. I'm semi retired and have expanded my collection of Classics (currently at 12 show cars). My collecting has evolved into selling as I am limited to covered storage to about 14 cars. I am enjoying this phase of my life, it gives me great satisfaction to pay back the car Gods for all the cars I beat up back in the 60's.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to the zoo,Charles.We like pictures,and there is plenty of info.and informed opions here.We are all willing to help:deal

bobs409

Administrator
Yeh, I'd like to see what you have in your collection Charlie. :deal

Oh yeh, who are you calling old? I'm 43 going on 16 myself. :D

Charlie Dawson

Supporting Member 6
Hi, We are having a mini wind/rain storm here on the east coast of Virginia so I am playing on the computer instead of working on cars. Here are my current projects:
I currently am wraping up installing front disc brakes on my 57 Thunderbird, a bolt that holds the check valve in place in the new brake cylinder was too long. The new bolt arrived yesterday (UPS overnight) and I will replace it today.
I have a 57 Corvette that I bought last month without any exterior chrome. To make things worse, the previous owner filled in all the holes for the chrome and exhaust pipes giving the car a "retro look". I have installed all the emblems and the front grill bars but I am going to hire a local Vette body shop to install the chrome. This body shop (as luck would have it) currently has a 57 body sitting on a stand, they will be able to use the 57 body as a template to correctly locate and drill the necessary holes.
I have been working on a "body on" restoration for a 1964 1/2 Mustang coupe for the last 6 months or so. It is scheduled to go to a local car show/auction on Friday. I need to change the ignition switch and give it a good detail wax job and it will be ready for the auction.
I have a 1957 Fairlane Victoria in my local painters shop. I stripped it and pulled the seats out getting it ready for paint. It will be Torch Red and Colonial White (original colors). The upholstery guy picked up the seats and door panels last week, I am working on my parts order from Dennis Carpenter, so hopfully this will come together in a month or so.
I just completed my 1969 el Camino SS 396. I rebuilt the instrument panel (new gauges and lights) and had the A/C repaired. I replaced some of the exterior Chrome, it shows very nice now.
I am currently on the hunt for a 64 Impala SS 4 Speed car that is need of an original 327/300 HP engine. I had my 327 engine rebuilt but someone bought my Impala before I could get it installed.

WoW.. I bet you are sorrry you asked !
current toys:
1957 Bel Air 2 Door HT all original
1957 Thunderbird two 4 BBLs 3 speed
1957 Fairlane Sunliner (convertible) 312 all original
1957 Fairlane Victoria.. in progress
1969 el Camino SS 396 all original
1958 Bel Air 2 door HT 348 4 BBL all original
1957 Corvette all screwed up with no exterior chrome in progress
1964 1/2 Mustang coupe "D" code factory air. just completed, hope to sell this weekend
Two more 1964 1/2 Mustangs "D" code Convertibles, one poppy red, one bronze
1958 Ford Ranchero I installed 3x2BBLs + 312 heads + Reds headers on the original 292
1986 F150 step side PU truck 302 with a mild cam, nice red oak bed, modern bucket seats

now I am sure you are sorry you asked.. this is worse than being invited to your neighbors "slide picture" show

Charlie

bobs409

Administrator
That's quite a mix. Seems like everyone has a 57 Chevy in their collection but me. :cry Sounds like you keep yourself busy anyhow. :D

I'll be waiting for that slide show neighbor. :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice collection!

Charlie:

Nice collection! Quite a range of cars there, is there a historical connection (cars you once had, or your Dad, that sort of thing)?

I stay pretty close to GM cars from 1961-62-63 myself. Not quite the collection you have! I laughed when you mentioned downsizing due to storage considerations. Wish I had room for "only" 14 cars :) :) :).

We've got quite a range of X frame and W officiondos here on the site, if you ever have questions, fire away. We love to give out opinions, they are like belly buttons, everyone seems to have one :).

Cheers!
TomK

Charlie Dawson

Supporting Member 6
tom,
I guess there is a little of everything in what you said. I had a 1957 Chevrolet in High School but it was a 2 dooe post,265 3 speed..nothing like the Bel Air I currently have. I was 16 in 1964 when my Dad shocked me by driving home with a 1964 1/2 Mustang. They were just out and the only ones we saw were on the TV. It took a year or so before I was able to drive it so maybe my attraction to Mustangs goes back to those days.
My prom date's father let us take his 1957 Thunderbird to the prom..It is very clear to me why I have a 57 Thunderbird..it was actually the first classic I bought.
I too lean toward Chevrolet too.. but I do like the looks of the 57 Fords. The rest of my cars were "good deals" ... one more good deal and I'll be broke !

Charlie

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Picture attachment

Charlie:

Uploading an image coupled to a new message is pretty simple. It's best to"size" that image if at all possible, as most public sites (such as this one) have limited storage capacities (due to large memberships).

Here's how I do it:

Initiate a new message. Before "submitting" that, scroll your cursor down the page to look at "Additional Options". The second one down is labelled "Attach Files". The so called hot link is labelled "Manage Attachments". Click on that and you will be given a frame that allow you to browse your desktop device (you will need to point to where your pictures are located on your personal PC/Mac). Click on up to five pictures, then "Upload" them. If successful you will get some feedback from the application, and you can either close that window or hit the Submit button.

I may have missed something, but others will offer insight and advise. If you don't resize your photos, I think the software will do that for you, it just takes more time...

Enjoy!

TomK

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Charlie> That is some stable you have there.. If you post up some photos, you will find some forgiveness here for the Fords.. :cool: