Old geezer finally joins!

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My name is Clyde Waldo. My wife Ellen and I live out in the country mid-way between St. Louis and Columbia Missouri. I have been looking in on this site for a long time but I didn’t become a member because I felt that I couldn’t contribute much - my involvement with 348-409's stopped in the late 1980's. My first car was a used 1958 Chevrolet Impala convertible Red 348 4 barrel powerglide. Fun car - I even got a couple of trophies at the Alton Illinois drags with it. Early in 1962 I traded it in on a new 1962 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible 409 2x4 barrel 4 speed. Had a huge amount of fun with that car too but after a couple of years I found every weak component the car possessed. The first thing to let go was the frame/rear end control arm bracket. The dealer I bought the car from was not pleased at all but fixed it under warranty. Some where along the line the ring & pinion broke. Clutch went out. The most disappointing weak link was the puny BW aluminum case T-10 4 speed transmission. It had a habit of shucking second gear teeth. Through all of the fun I had with that car and the abuse that I put it through the good old 409 engine never faltered (except a couple of bent push rods). When the 1965 Mustangs fastbacks came out I just had to have one. By then the newness/novelty of the 62 Impala had worn off but before I let it go I pulled the 409 engine and put in the corner of the garage. I sometimes wish that I still had the 58 Impala or that I that still had the 62 Impala but I had my fun and hopefully someone else is having fun with them now. Back in the mid 1960's I put my 62 409 engine in my 1955 Thunderbird and had a huge amount of fun with that 409 powered T-Bird until I decided to divorce a nasty wife. During the divorce she stole the T-Bird away from me and somehow locked up the 409. I got the car back as part of the settlement and it has just been sitting in my garage since then. I am now wanting to repair/update the 409 that’s in the T-Bird and get the T-Bird on the road again, but, somehow old age has snuck up on me and I just found out that I have a health problem to deal with. Hope that I can prevail upon you all for guidance on my 409 engine update.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
now that's cooool... a 409 t-Bird !! That will pi$$ of the F@@d guys !!!!!

Welcome to the zoo..... I hope you get the health issues looked after and get that car back on the road.

Dave

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
"409" T Bird

409 T Bird, how cool is that:cool:-get well and get the bird back on the road. And welcome to the site:clap

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Clyde( OLD GEEZER)You should fit right in here. There are a lot of old geezers on this site,including yours truly.:? Welcome. You will enjoy it here. A "W" powered T-Bird? Gotta see pictures of that.:eek::crazy:cheers

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow, that's cool. Clyde, my father has told me several times about seeing your car many, many years ago. I just got off the phone with him and asked him where he had seen it back then and he said he's pretty sure it was at the old Pacific Dragstrip. Does this ring a bell with you? Anyway, I'm glad to see you joined up and I'm thrilled to hear the car is still around. You gotta post any pictures you might have! Thanks! Mark

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Welcome Clyde. You will enjoy this madness as there are a few geezers running around here:roll A 409 t-bird? I gotta see that!:bow I guess you are near I-70?
robert

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site Clyde! I sure would like to see pictures of the 09 Bird. Hope your health issue is getting better. :)

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for the welcome.

I know very little about coumputers or how to post or posting etiquette but will try pictures.

Mark, yes I was at Pacific, MO drag strip - it was 1/8th mile - now long gone.

Attachments

• File0002.jpg
    File0002.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 112
  • File0023.jpg
    File0023.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 91
  • File0043.jpg
    File0043.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 99
  • File0037.jpg
    File0037.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 93
  • Clyde's T-BRD.jpg
    Clyde's T-BRD.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 99

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
WELCOME CLYDE!!!!!!!

I was going thru some old papers a couple of weeks ago and saw my notes when you called. Must have been 4 or 5 years ago!! Glad to see you have joined and are part of the group now.

As for other conversions, there is a 1960 Corvette in Jeff City, which is not far from you, with a 63 425HP 409 in it. Now a drag race between your 2 cars would be a sight to see!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you know him, I don't remember a name, and could arrange to meet him in Thompson, OH the first weekend in June!!!:clap:clap:clap

Welcome aboard Clyde!!!

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's a nice looking installation and it even has headers on it. Not only that, but what a sleeper that car had to be for awhile. At least 'til word got out to NOT mess with the green Thunderbird!

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome Old geezer.
I keep telling those Ford guys," the only way you can get a Ford to run right is to Chevy power it"
Great car, lets get it running again...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome!

Welcome aboard, Clyde. I suspect I just passed your place on the freeway about half an hour ago. I was in St. Louis for a concert at the Fox Theater and was on my way home to Columbia, MO. Where in Missouri are you?

I've got a 1962 SS with a transplanted 409 four speed in it, we might get together sometime and I know you will be able to rekindle you past when you see it :).

Cheers!
TomK

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Again, thanks all of you for your welcome.

Mark & Phil - in it's day (mid 1970s) my old 409 powered T-Bird could hold it's own against most Corvettes - it wasn't hard to find a street contest in St. Louis county back then. The best run at the drags was a 12.45sec @ 113 or 115mph - I remember that run like it was yesterday - the old 409 was absolutely singing through the traps. My plan now is to replace the locked up 409 with a truck 409 that I got off ebay last year & use a 2x4 manifold on the truck heads, so I don't think that I will be doing too much in the way of racing. I don't think that it will run with Tom K's or Ronnie's lo buck engines - be lucky to get in the 14sec range.

I just want to get the T-Bird running so that I can put a better 409 in the 1962 Impala that I bought last year. I found the 62 Impala on craig's list after Tom K in a post said that you would be surprised at what you could find on craig's list. The car was located a few miles east of Jefferson City MO. Wife & I went to look - the car didn't look bad (not a rust bucket but not great either). The owner said nobody had come to look yet but that he had several phone calls, one as far away as Kansas City. I immediately thought that that Phil Reed guy is after this car so I wrote a check for $3500.

Phil - I met you at the Columbia MO swap meet a few years back & it is about time for another swap meet this year - are you going to be there?

Tom K - you passed within 5 miles of our place. We are located a couple of miles south on Highway 19 and then about three miles west on gravel roads. We have 275 acres and my wife & I own and operate a Bed & Breakfast called A LITTLE LOG CABIN IN THE WOODS. You can find it on the Hermann MO web site http://www.visithermann.com. My wife & I get to Columbia often for an auction and when I ask some of the regular auction goers about 409 engine parts they all said that Tom Kocktanek was the 409 guy.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Clyde:beerbang A lot of great history and upcoming projects I find it hard to believe that you woudn't have anything to contribute to this site. I'm hoping that the locked up 409 is salvagable:pray Are you planning on putting that 09 in the 62:dunno Ken

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
T-bird / 409, Can't say any more than has already been said. :love:cool:
:cheers:cheers:cheers
:beerbang:beerbang:beerbang

WELCOME ABOARD

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, Clyde.:clap Nice car. Even, if it's F-F-F-F-o-o-o-r-r-r- Oh, never mind.:rolleyes::cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Swapmeet in Columbia

Clyde:

That swap meet is the weekend of February 19th in Columbia. That's from memory, I will confirm if otherwise. My buddy James Schrader has a couple hundred square feet just in side the building to the right once you enter. Stop by if you get a chance. I am thinking of of donating a few 409 parts for the cause, look for those (nothing special, probably truck heads).

Hope to see you there!

TomK