Old Dude

OLD DUDE

Old Dude here; you can call me OD. I've been reading the forum for several months and thought I'd join now that I've retired and have nothing to do. I've been lucky enough to have owned a '62 FI Vette since it was new. Sold it in 2007 to an NCRS guy....orig paint/chrome etc etc etc. 103,000 miles. Rebuilt the engine myself two times during that 45 years and only had the FI done ONCE in all that time (and it wasn't even broken). Always loved the 348 and 409 motors; they are just beautiful to me. Saw my first, as a young man, when a salesman uncovered a 1960 red convertible w.th a 4-speed sticking out of the floor. It was in the "backroom" of the dealership. There it was top down, shiny as hell; and then he popped the hood to show these young eyes a vision that I have never been able to shake out of my head. A 348 with "trips". So, here I am feasting on the eye candy. BTW the info on casting numbers and dates that you have on your site is absolutely fabulous. I don't usually post much, but rest assured, I'm here reading :) Thanks for a great website. OD

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
WELCOME OD:beerbang, These ole W motors grab ya and won't let go. Back in '61 when I was 15 years old, A guy across the street got his new black Impala SS 409 car and tore up the neighbor. Never forget that car. Leo

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site OD :clap Enjoy the ride.:cheers When you get a project going please post some pictures for us.:pray

:crazy:cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome OD!!!:clap:clap:clap When I first saw your name Old Dude.......I thought Dick MacKenzie was trying to register again!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dunno:dunno:dunno:roll:roll:roll:roll

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome OD:beerbang Now that your retired you have the time to get and or build that dream 60 that is the vision that you cannot shake:cool: Go for it, Ken:D

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome "OD". There are quite a few of us Old Dudes on this site, and I for one am a 348 Tri-Power, Red 60 Impala lover! Do yourself a favor and grab one and have fun!! Again, Welcome!

Lonnie

62BillT

Well Known Member
Welcome OD,

I had got bitten by the "W" bug early too. It was in my first car, when I was 15 years old. It was a '58 Nomad, 348, 3-Speed. Although I agree with the '60 Convertible. They are beautiful cars. Almost bought one soon after the '58.

Bill

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome OD

WELCOME OD:beerbang, These ole W motors grab ya and won't let go. Back in '61 when I was 15 years old, A guy across the street got his new black Impala SS 409 car and tore up the neighbor. Never forget that car. Leo

Hey Leo

In you quote above, how bad did the neighbor "get tore up"?:roll:roll:roll:cool:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome!

Hey, Old Dude, you might look like a youngin' with this group (and that includes me!) :) :) :).

You clearly have good taste and good sense to have acquired and hung on to your '62 Fuelie for such a long time. Now you need to get back to that era and get yourself another project to occupy your new found free time (if there really is any in retirement!).

Pick yourself out a nice X frame car and endow that with a "W" engine of your choice and go out and have some fun! It does make one feel younger :).

Cheers!
TomK

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Hey Leo

In you quote above, how bad did the neighbor "get tore up"?:roll:roll:roll:cool:

Thanks for asking:roll. This guy worked at the gas station across the street from the gas station I was working at. We heard tires squeeling ALL THE TIME. Not sure he did much work there because the car was coming and going all the time. Always seemed to be in a hurry to get somewhere. Heard several months later that he blew the rods out of it. Several months later we saw the motor and tranny in his black '34 Ford street rod. Have no idea what happened to that black SS. Leo

OLD DUDE

Thanks everyone for the resounding welcome.... I'm going to start looking around in the Spring. Still undecided whether I want to go back in time or forward (there are some awesome muscle cars coming out of Detroit if you can believe the magazines). Anyway, will be looking here and spreading the word to the local engine / car builders and then mebe spend a delicious Sring just test driving Mustang 412's; Camaro big blocks and BMW Z4's. Too many to choose from....If I had the money and the space, I would buy one of each starting with a '60 - '62 W car................:dunno