• ac delco

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • napa

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

IgnitionMan

What a surprize, there are some people out there so un-informed that they STILL use Fram junk. Somebody turn the light on for those people. I'm shocked!

JokersBel

Banned
Can you get ac delco cannister-type filters? The local parts store only sells Wix and they had a Fram and Wix dissected to show the differences. Looks like Wix is a pretty good brand except the cannister looks identical to all other brands. i wonder if there really is a difference with cannister filters? :confused:

ElkyBob

Supporting Member 1
Oil Filters

:cool: Well my personal choice is Union 76, simply cuz I picked up 3 at one time on ebay real cheap. So that's my favorite for at least another few thousand miles. Don't know how good they are, but they appear to be put together pretty good. What I have is PF-141's.

bobs409

Administrator
I can only get the AC PF-141 cannister filter at my local Chevy dealer. They only keep 1 in stock. I think it cost me $4.90 plus tax last time.

There was another store here that used to stock the Hastings equivalent of the PF 141 but that place changed to NAPA.

oldimpala

Well Known Member
Filters

Bob-

NAPA Gold Filters are Wix. Just with a different silk-screen. After shucking parts for years through college (At a few parts stores, and not too long ago) and seeing some of the promo demos at SEMA in Las Vegas, they're the ONLY filter I use. A Purolator rep came in when I was selling filters, and cut open a Wix, Fram, Delco, Motorcraft, and of course Purolator and PURE-ONE Purolator filter for comparison. Shocking what's inside those Fram's isn't it?

Delco's used to be OK, but now each P/N uses sub-suppliers, I don't know where the PF-141's come from, but they look identical to the Purolator cartridges.... (Which are still better than the CH-200PL Fram's)

Wix makes about 80% of the private label car-parts brand filters (I know they make CarQuest, Parts Plus, and Napa Gold for certain).

Just food for thought... It might save you some travel time, cash, and convenience...

-Andy/Oldimpala

bobs409

Administrator
Well, it says "made in Mexico" on the box! :mad:

The only visual difference (without cutting it open) is the outer wrap. They used to be metal and is now something that looks like cardboard. :confused:

The Hastings I mentioned above still had the metal wrap but I can't get them anymore.

I just remembered, I snapped a pic a while back:

Attachments

• misczz.jpg
    misczz.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 87

bobs409

Administrator
Does anyone remember the Lee brand filters? I used to use them back in the 80's and I remember my dad using them for his '70 Charger R/T. I guess they went out of business ?!? Haven't seen them for a long time.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bob, Do you still use the canister type on your 09? On any car that is not original restored, I'd convert it to a spin on. I t only takes 5 minutes and it's not expensive. NUT

Does anyone know anything about Donaldson filters?

bobs409

Administrator
I like the cannister style so it never bothered me to use them. I have it on my 409 and the 283 in my '63. I like old stuff. :p :)

It would be nice if stores would carry them but since they were last used on cars in 1967, I can understand that they don't. :p :D

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I respect that! I like old stuff too.:) Did you have to train those smileys to stick their tounges out at the same time?:D NUT