Steve Julio

First signed on about two months ago but now just getting around to posting an intro. I bought my '61 Impala 20 years ago, your basic stock 348/powerglide job. I've always wished it was a 3-speed or even 4-speed. I like the moving through the gears myself! I would certainly like to hear about anyone's experience swapping out the PG for a manual tranny.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Steve. Looks like your car is the Fawn Beige with Arbor Beige top. Very nice....:clap I have a 3-speed with column if you are interested.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cool: Welcome aboard Steve,I it were me,I'd say go with the 4 speed.If all your doing is putting around,the sm-318 3 speed would suffice,but if you want to 'play"with it:eek:,WEAK tea,and parts for them are tough to find,plus the fact that low gear isnt syncronised either:evil.The car is ,in most peoples opinion,much 'cooler"with the 4 speed:deal

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome WOW another 61 and I don't have one

:cry welcome to the site sad to hear another 61 and I don't have one. You think I'm jealous? Good luck with your conversion the 3 speeds ok the four is better but a five would be best.:roll

Steve Julio

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the 4-speed. I was keeping my options open in case a good 3-speed deal was found. I began collecting parts, clutch pedal set up, likeage, etc, over the last year or so and done some investigating for swapping out the PG for a manual. I found a good tech article in the March 2001 Chevy Times. Been using that for my "wish list" for parts.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Welcome Steve, Where in MN. are you. BTW, make sure your have the '61 only pedals. Everything is easy to gather up.. The steering column can be modified. Leo

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
pretty easy swap overall...my 64 was a Powerglide and I swapped mine this past winter to the 4-speed. Never a regret!! So much more fun now :clap