nitronova

I just joined this site after multiple visits peeping at the wisdom posted throughout! I am starting a 1953 chevy 1/2 ton project. It is going to be a 4x4 on a S10 frame and powered by a 348 with tripower backed by a 5 speed manual. Oh yeah I intend on driving this year round as my only transportation means! This ought to be fun. I know I am nuts to drive year round in it in western NY but I detest the crap the dealers and manufactures are pushing of the lot now days. Look forward to a lot of inquisitive thoughts as I have never built one of these legendary motors.:crazy

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
nitronova, Now that you have taken the big step of joining,, jump right in anytime you need help. Several of the members have built trucks and are always ready to help. Welcome and have fun. :)

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
As Ronnie said... welcome. There is a ton of knowlege hiding on this site.

Dave

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard nitronova:beerbang project sounds great. Look forward to some updates and maybe some pictures:pray Just how far along are you on your build so far:dunno Ken

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome aboard "Nitro Nova" :clap Great group of guys here. Any questions? Just ask away. Some of us even have the right answers !!:crazy:roll:scratch:cheers

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Welcome aboard Nitronova

That sounds like a pretty nice project. A vintage truck...with a vintage WBC.

I bet the 348 ...in 1st gear with a 4X4 setup....could pull pretty good :beerbang

Ron

nitronova

Project kick off

The 348 is at the machine shop. Cracked about 8 inches on both water jackets by cylinder heads.Also one cylinder is cracked. There was a pretzeled connecting rod.This was the most challenging motor tear down I ever did. After all attempts of various penetrants and even hydrochloric acid (to melt the pistons). I finally torched the rods and beat the pistons out with a hand mall and 1" steel shaft. Literally 20 minutes a hole!
The machine shop is insisting on "pinning" the cracked side walls. What is the opinions out there on this? I will be driving this about 15,000 miles a year in all weather. (350 HP build)

Also can the 2" outlet truck manifolds be used for 350hp?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The 348 is at the machine shop. Cracked about 8 inches on both water jackets by cylinder heads.Also one cylinder is cracked. There was a pretzeled connecting rod.This was the most challenging motor tear down I ever did. After all attempts of various penetrants and even hydrochloric acid (to melt the pistons). I finally torched the rods and beat the pistons out with a hand mall and 1" steel shaft. Literally 20 minutes a hole!
The machine shop is insisting on "pinning" the cracked side walls. What is the opinions out there on this? I will be driving this about 15,000 miles a year in all weather. (350 HP build)

Also can the 2" outlet truck manifolds be used for 350hp?

No sense in building that block. There are still a lot of 348 blocks out there that are better candidates for a rebuild than the one you have.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would be looking for another block my self, But I do know some who have had cracks like those repaired with success. How much dose the machine shop want to repair the cracks and will they garantee the repair:dunno. Plus you need a sleave in at least one of the cyl. How are the rest of the cyl. How much do they want to sleave it and will they garantee that as well. The first 348 that I took apart for inspection also was very hard to dissesemble. I cut an X pattern into the top of the piston to shrink it and then it just fell out. That block also had a crack in it. Got another block. Ken

nitronova

I told the shop that I was not interested in paying a ridiculous amount to save this block. I mentioned $1000 would be just crazy. (we were discussing complete block prep) He said oh we won't be even close to that. I am Still waiting for a price. I am hoping somewhere about $500. I plan on Big block chevy rods so why would this block be something you would not use? These things are getting real tough to find around here.

Any answers about my manifold question above?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good choice, but...

Congrats on your choice of the 348 for your soon-to-be daily driver!

I'll respond to your exhaust question first, then echo what others have said about the 348 block.

We're not sure what your internal engine choices will be (crank, rods, pistons, cam, etal) but if you did develop 350 horses or more, those slim two inchers might not scavenge good enough to take the charges away. Consider the stock 2.5 inchers, which are out there at a price ($400-$500 or so). Or maybe the after market center dumps that are less expensive (such as the Sandersons?). You can always start out with what you have, then upgrade later if you feel that's a limitation.

Regarding the 348 block you have, if it's something that's sentimental to you, consider saving it. Otherwise locate another one. That shouldn't be too hard unless you are in a hurry. For the $500 it might take to fix it you might find two or even three bare 348 blocks that you can use. I've bought complete 348 engines for as little as $100 within the past couple of years. You just have to keep your eyes open and look around :). It helps to spread the word at local car events, etc.

Sounds like you are going to need some bottom end parts, what crank are you going back with? Are you thnking stock stroke, stock rods, stock replacement pistons, or something else?

Last year I built a 348 engine with a few goodies trying to get maybe 400 horses and plans are to use either headers or 2.5 inch cast iron GM exhaust manifolds. I haven't fired her up as yet.

Let us know what your plans are (or how budgetary conscious you are) and we can offer you additional advise. Good luck with the project, they are fun to drive on a daily or even semi-daily basis :).

Cheers!
TomK

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
then echo what others have said about the 348 block.

I would also look for another block.......... But if you do repair that one there is a sealant that Ronnie has used with great success........ I'm sure he'll chime in.

Dave

nitronova

Budget conscience is a must. I plan on using the stock crank. Big block chevy rods because I had to torch mine and I hear the bbc rods are only .010" longer.(please give input on that) Moderate compression so I don't pay through the nose at the pump. 333 truck heads (I will step up the valve size to the next one). Tripower intake. 5 Speed stick (Getrag) and t-case.
I feel 350 hp would be a healthy yet hopefully somewhat fuel efficient.(I know that's nuts)

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I also agree that this block needs to move on to boat anchor duty. I could possibly see trying to salvage a badly busted block on a documented numbers matching big block car. You could repair this block, but in the end you will still have a block with limited or no value. 348 blocks are fairly easy to find at reasonable prices. JMO Leo