Newbie to the forum needs advise from the brain trust

MikeC

Hi, I am on the back stretch of a 1963 Impala SS frame off resto. Carlisle find project car with most of the good stuff. 409/400, 4 speed, PS, PB, A/C...Tilt wheel, original AM/FM,,, speed control ...and a vacuum operated trunk opener that looks to be dealer installed.
I was thankful that the numbers correct engine, T10, posi and most of the other major components were there. However the buzzards picked some parts of course and what I currently need is some advise on the drive system. The crank and water pump pulleys, compressor and brackets are missing and for some reason it has a generator that came with it that is an original delco but the bracket that mounts to the exhaust manifold is gone.
So can someone tell me how GM made up a three belt pully system for the options? I have found a two groove PS pulley and a matching crank pulley.... did Chevy make a single groove pully that bolted over the others or is there a three groove pully out there someplace looking for a new home. The devil is in the details and this one has me baffled

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome.
Hate to say.......400HP 409 was never built with AC. Sounds like a neat car but maybe you could check into the "numbers" to find out more information about your car. Also, your car should have an alternator instead of a generator.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Why not run the engine stamping suffix code? It will tell you if the A/C was factory installed.

Gary