newbie 61 bubble

dmaxsteve

My name is Steve, my car is a 61 impala that has been in the family for 50 years this year! I pulled out of the garage for the first time 12 years. A little cleaning and fresh battery and the 348 fired right up. Now the car has a new home with the same family.

dmaxsteve

I will post some pics as soon as I get my computer out of the shop. Here is some more information. My grandfather bought the car from the original owner in 1963 with 7000 miles on the car for $1500. Bought new in San Diego and has never been out of CA. Since 1973 the car was driven less than 10,000 miles.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Steve.:welcome Great group here:hug and lots of info on the "W" engine. Enjoy the ride.:happy
:crazy:dance:cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
50 years in the same family, that's pretty special! We have a few members on site who still have their original purchases from that same era :). You guys should be lauded for your preservation efforts!
Which engine/transmission combination does your vehicle have? Is it the 250 horse 348 or something a little peppier?
Best,
TomK

dmaxsteve

50 years in the same family, that's pretty special! We hav few members on site who still have their original purchases from that same era :). You guys should be lauded for your preservation efforts!
Which engine/transmission combination does your vehicle have? Is it the 250 horse 348 or something a little peppier?
Best,
TomK
Tom, it is a 250 horse 348 with a 3 in the tree. It was a turbo glide till my dad hit a rock in the road. he had the trany rebuilt but it leaked like crazy. So fed up with the leak he put in the three speed.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Steve, we will probably pass each other on the road if you drive that much.

Jeff

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to the group and Merry Christmas. '61 is my favorite, but I like them all. We love hearing about cars staying in the family for so long. My parents owned a '61 Impala from '67 until about 2008 or so. I got my Bel Air in '89 or so at the age of 15 and still have it. I would have liked to have kept the Impala in the family, but it did go to a very good home at least. It get's better attention than I could have ever given it.