newbie 1962 btop

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
hi everyone new member I have a 1962 bubble top project just getting ready to start on . I already have got a lot of info from forum but need more

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Welcome 62
lots of good information on here
also lot of really nice looney birds
I will ask b/4 any one else
pictures we all love pictures:cool::cool:
:cheers
roger

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
will have to snap some pictures . its in dp primer need to start on metal work first

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey btop

Welcome aboard.

Ahh yes the 62' Bubbletop. Missed out on the chance to get one of these a few times. Well...maybe someday...:beerbang

Ron

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome!

Welcome aboard. We love those '62s, especially the rarer Belair sport coupes :).

What drive train did she come with it?

Can't wait to see some pics!

TomK

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
did not have motor when I got it but they said it was 409 car vin is a 21637

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
VIN decoding

Yes, you have a 1962 Belair Sport Coupe that came from the factory with a V8. In 1962 that V8 could have been a 283, a 327 or a 409. The VIN doesn't tell you which one. There may be some other clues, assuming the vehicle is near original. Here are a few:

Look for a set of holes on the front fenders. If you have one pair of holes on each side, chances are she had a 283 or a 327. If just below that badging location you see another set of holes then that's where the "409" emblems wold have been. These might have been covered up over the years, you might need to explore a bit...

If she has dual exhausts, that's a clue that some higher performance engine once resided in the bay, could have been a 327/300 or the 409.

If you have the large fuel lines, that's another sign of a performance engine (327 or 409).

As I understand it, all 409s from 1962 had a standard shift, most were four speeds. Look for the "slick" four speed column, holes for a tach in that column, and a corresponding transmitter on the driver side fender well. If the hole in the floor boards for the four speed were done at the factory, you can tell when compared to what some might have done in the garage with a can opener...

I'm sure there are other indicators, but these are the first set to look for. Unfortunately there are no cowl tag or VIN tag indicators for the mighty 409 :).

I hope you find what you're looking for!

Good luck!

TomK

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
heres some pictures not real good no wheels on front so can't move out side to get good shoot

Attachments

• Picture e-bay 1317.jpg
    Picture e-bay 1317.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Picture e-bay 1318.jpg
    Picture e-bay 1318.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 91

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
It appears that your firewall indicates a factory AC car, thus, no factory 409's came with factory AC. Also the hole in the firewall for factory tach wires is missing but it has been documented ( Verne Franz) that some of the factory tach wires were run through other existing holes. What ever, you have a desirable car, do it justice.
Rusty

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Damn, I thought I had the only 1962 BelAir BubbleTop with factory A/C !!!! Now I've got to go and change all my web pages !!!! :dunno

But really, that looks like a solid car for your project. Keep us all up to date as you proceeed, and welcome aboard. The last guy who built a 62 BelAir BubbleTop with 409 was a real pain in the behind... What was his name ??? Oh yeah, that was me ! :cool::cool:

Have fun with it and hope to see you at a show in the near future !!!!

Bill

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard 62btop:beerbang . Looks like you have a good body to start with from the pic's you posted thats always good. and aside from the 409 talk for that car ( which of coarse would be awsome). Just what were your plans for the car as far as drive train and body and interior:dunno. Ken

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I plan on a stroker 409 with 4-speed ,bucket seats,roman red with red interior .I don't know if they make bucket seat covers in the belair style but would like stock look interior and out side to

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
We can get your bucket seat covers made with the 62 Belair insert material. I did that for a customer here in KC with a red/red modified 61 Impala 2-door hardtop. On his we used the inserts from a 64 Impala for his bucket seat covers. Looks awesome!!

Go for it!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I plan on a stroker 409 with 4-speed ,bucket seats,roman red with red interior .I don't know if they make bucket seat covers in the belair style but would like stock look interior and out side to

Welcome 1962btop, Looks like a nice project. There is a set of buckets for sale in the classified area if you are in need of some. Keep us posted on your progress.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like your on your way 1962btop. Help has arrived like the Calvary and your project sound great. Dont forget to keep us posted on your progress:cheers