New young guy

Rich427409

Hey guys, just joined today, I'm only 22, but have been around 409's my whole life. My dad grew up loving 409's when they were new. At a very young age my dad started teaching me about cars and my love for the older chevys especially 58-64's and especially the 348/409's devoloped. When I was 15 my dad bought a MINT 1961 bel air 2 door sedan with a 235 and a 3 on the tree to be a father/son project with plans to put a 409 in it. At that time my dad had accumulated enough parts over the years to build at least 10 complete motors... probably more. Long story short we never got around to it and due to money situations my dad sold off all the 409 stuff including the 61 bel air back in 2008. I always missed the car.
100_1210.jpg

Since graduating high school I have been on the hunt for my own that I could afford that wasnt a total basket case...
Back in December I was on craigslist and came accross a 1962 Bel Air 4 door Sedan for the right price and I just had to have it.

This is when I got it. It is all original and never really been touched other that a cheap paint job at one point... It has its original 235/powerglide with power steering and manual brakes.
540cace7.jpg

I painted it back in April at home with a basecoat clearcoat in it's original color - Twilight Blue
953177c3.jpg

b814af4c.jpg

My dad gave me a 348 that he had left over that i'm going to put in it, and I purchased some 333 heads last month. I'm just saving up some money to build the 348... I plan to have it done by next summer. For now I am just enjoying the car as it is. I love it and the extra doors don't bother me... Sorry for the long intro. Hope I'm not too young to join the crowd ;)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Rich,and yes we welcome young folks here.If you have any questions,I'm sure one of our"dinosours" will be glad to help,Right Phil?:hug

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Rich!!!! Great story and you have a great car to start with!!!
I LOVE younger members because it's guys like you will carry the 348 409 banner when the rest of us are all gone!!!! You will be our salvation!!!! There isn't anything you need to do that hasn't already been discussed here!! Ask away!!!!

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Love those father son projects. Congrats on a good find and looks to be a good candidate for a swap or enjoying like you are. Scott

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome Rich, Always glad to have young men join the site. Good start on the 62. Your Dad raised you right.:dance

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Rich! As Phil said, we love to see you young guys get in to the hobby and keep these old cars we love alive!

bobs409

Administrator
We need more like you Rich! Somebody has to carry the torch when us old guys aren't around anymore. (well, the other old guys here, not me) :D Glad those extra doors didn't discourage you, 4 doors need love too. :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Rich:

That is a great starter car! Mine was a 1961 Belair 4 door sedan, but that was some time ago :).

Good luck with it, you will learn lots. I like the idea of building a 348 and upgrading the drive train. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best,
TomK

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome aboard, nice 62 , we all started somewhere, I am with you Tom, mine was a 61 more door Bel Air, got when I was 19, by the time I was 20 I had slotted a MKIV 427.61-.jpg