Buz

61chev69597-2.jpg Hi! My name is Buz. I recently became the owner of a 1961 Impala Convertible. It has a 1964 409 engine. This is my first car with a 409, so I am doing a lot of research to familiarize myself with the engine specifications. This may sound like a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway. How can you tell if the engine has solid lifters or hydraulic? Listening to it run, it sounds like solid lifters, but I would like to know for sure. The previous owner didn't know. My first project is to replace the valve stem seals, which will require a valve adjustment. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
I am really enjoying this website. The information I have already obtained from it has been very helpful.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Greetings Buz!!! Glad to have you in the group.
No matter what you ask...you will get an answer!!
Most of us are harmless!!! Well. except for ............., ............, and .................!!!! Oh...and what's his face!!!!

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Greetings Buz!!! Glad to have you in the group.
No matter what you ask...you will get an answer!!
Most of us are harmless!!! Well. except for ..........Phil..., ...........Phil., and .............Phil....!!!! Oh...and what's his face!!!!:laugh

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome to the site, lots of good help here, and a good bunch of guys.........................some are crazy:crazy

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site,:welcome Got picture's????? Oh watch out for one guy on this site ,He is nut's!!!!! :D:D:D

Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Very nice car Buz:clap:bow

Love it

Cant help you on the question on the lifters but if you put the question in the 348-409 engines section of the forum there are a lot more of us lurk around in there

Steve

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Buz:

Nice pic! I see that your car has some of the "SS" trim on it (wheel covers/badging).

What transmission does she sport?

Welcome aboard :).

TomK