born2drivea55

Just want to say hello and introduce myself! My name is Dustin I'm 27 and I'm from Bethel Park, Pa. I'm rebuilding a 55 Chevy 2 door sedan. My engine of choice is a Tri Power 348. Its a 59 block with 1960 1147 heads. I also have a tremec 5 speed to put behind it. The reason I joined this forum is because I need help from all of you guys! Plus I want to learn as much as possible about the W motors. I'm going to need recomendations on what kind of side motor mounts to use and tips on rebuilding the motor for sure. I look forward to talking with you guys and making new friends. Dustin

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
Welcome Dustin, sounds like a really cool project. This site is loaded with some of the best guys in the business. I'm not one of them, but nevertheless, you will find all you need here.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dustin, welcome to the zoo...... there are some W motors in tri-fives here so I'm sure someone will chime in with motor mount ideas that worK

............ hey guys.... we have a new member that doesn't have grey hair !!!! :roll:roll:cool::cool::roll

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome!

Dustin, welcome aboard. As mentioned, there is a collective knowledge here on many levels, and a lot of experience. Ask questions, you'll get several opinions, then you get to make the decision :).

Good start with that '59 block and those 1147 heads. These were the heads that sat atop the solid lifter engines from the late 50s/early 60s. They were the higher performance options and sported horsepower ratings from the low 300s up to 350 horses. That was a lot back then, but not much these days. I suspect it would be possible to use those parts and wring maybe 400 horses out of that block/head combination. Just depends what you want to do and how much you want to spend :).

Let us know your aspirations, we'll try to give you some guidance, then as mentioned, you make the decisions. And have fun! That's what this is all about :).

Cheers!
TomK

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Dustin! I looked up Bethal Park to see where you are located. Between Pittsburgh and 84. A lot of old hot rodders in your area. Do you know any of the BS Gasser group?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dustin......... slip a 409 crank into that 348 with the 1147's and tripower and I'm sure you'd hit 350 very easily.

We just did one, 409 crank, mild flat tappet cam with 379 heads and an offy dual four and it did 348 - 350 HP. With your 1147's it'll be easier.

Dave

born2drivea55

Hey Dick, Dont know any of the gasser guys. They used to run at a track called PID which is only about 7 miles from me. The trouble is the closed the track in 1976 I think. I was born in 1982 :cry

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Dustin, As others have said lots of knowledge and a great group of guys. So is that 55' 348 combo going to be Dustin them Camaros and Chevelles in the neighborhood.....:deal

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Dick, Dont know any of the gasser guys. They used to run at a track called PID which is only about 7 miles from me. The trouble is the closed the track in 1976 I think. I was born in 1982 :cry

Welcome aboard Dustin:beerbang Sounds like you have the love:love So the only thing you missed was cruising and racing all weekend in your gas guzzeling beast on 5-10 dollars worth of gas:cool::cool: Oh and maybe going to drive in movies. You don't have any of those near you that are still open do you:eek: Anyway the project sounds great:cheers Ken

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site.:clap I used a Hurst front horseshoe mount on the stock pedastals to mount my 348 in my '57 .If you want I will try to get some pics of the install for you . Send me your e-mail address and I will try to get them out to you as soon as possible. There are so many ways to mount a "W" in a tri-5.I used what I had laying around in my garage for my install. I was & still am having a out of money experience.:cry:crazy:cool::cheers