New Member Z409

Z409

Hi:

Jack Gibbs suggested I join your group and within 1 hour of joining and posting a "wanted" message, found the part I was looking for. I am building "Z/409", a Steve Stanford designed 1969 Camaro, powered by a 1962 409/409 engine being built by Jack Gibbs. The car was illustrated in the September 2009 issue of Hot Rod Magazine and if I can figure out how to upload the image and spec. sheet, I will post on this site. The car is a tribute to Chevrolet's 1st generation Camaro and the early 1960's 409 era. The car features extensive body modifications to capture the look of the early 1960's "bubble top" Chevrolets, including grafting in a late Corvair rear window, cutting back the "C" pillar, with a 1961 Chevrolet dash board, to be painted 1961 Chevrolet Roman Red. The interior to be a combination of 1961 Chevrolet red vinyl, 1957 chevrolet red/black "cloud pattern" cloth and red/black tuxedo weave carpet.

The engine is a number's matching 409/409 with all stock external appearance (no aftermarket parts) and Jack's bored/stroked internal modifications. Engine fits the stock sub frame without any modifications but with the new Heidt's subframe, the oil pan sump slightly interferes with the cross member and the sump needs to be shortened about an inch so as not to hang below the cross member. Similar in size to the old 396 big block which came in the 1969 Camaros.

I enjoy the site and will post updates once I get the initial image posted.

That's all for now.

Regards, MICHAEL

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOW, what a project! Can't wait to see the pics of your project. That will be a real "head turner" for sure. So welcome aboard. Give us updates and pics please. Walt

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOW, what a project! Can't wait to see the pics of your project. That will be a real "head turner" for sure. So welcome aboard. Give us updates and pics please. Walt

Ditto, sounds like a great project.

Don

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hi:

Jack Gibbs suggested I join your group and within 1 hour of joining and posting a "wanted" message, found the part I was looking for. I am building "Z/409", a Steve Stanford designed 1969 Camaro, powered by a 1962 409/409 engine being built by Jack Gibbs. The car was illustrated in the September 2009 issue of Hot Rod Magazine and if I can figure out how to upload the image and spec. sheet, I will post on this site. The car is a tribute to Chevrolet's 1st generation Camaro and the early 1960's 409 era. The car features extensive body modifications to capture the look of the early 1960's "bubble top" Chevrolets, including grafting in a late Corvair rear window, cutting back the "C" pillar, with a 1961 Chevrolet dash board, to be painted 1961 Chevrolet Roman Red. The interior to be a combination of 1961 Chevrolet red vinyl, 1957 chevrolet red/black "cloud pattern" cloth and red/black tuxedo weave carpet.

The engine is a number's matching 409/409 with all stock external appearance (no aftermarket parts) and Jack's bored/stroked internal modifications. Engine fits the stock sub frame without any modifications but with the new Heidt's subframe, the oil pan sump slightly interferes with the cross member and the sump needs to be shortened about an inch so as not to hang below the cross member. Similar in size to the old 396 big block which came in the 1969 Camaros.

I enjoy the site and will post updates once I get the initial image posted.

That's all for now.

Regards, MICHAEL

Michael

The post for that article and pictures have already been posted.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18915

Bill

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site! This is gonna be an awesome car.

hrdp_0909_01_z+custom_chevy_musclecars+camaro_z409.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice project!

The best of the early 60's drive train combined with the best of the late 60's body style. Who can top that!

I congratulate you on your metal and mechanical fabrications skills. I have enough trouble trying to get these cars to look like the factory originals :).

Can't wait to see the final project upon completion!

TomK

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I too thought it was a great idea/design when I saw it in the magazine. Glad you are making it happen! Good luck with your build! :beerbang

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Great concept and I can't wait to see her completed !!! :cool::cool: Have you thought about adding the "Three tail light" look to the rear ?? That would really make the Impala lines special !!!

Bill