New Member: need to sell my baby

zcamino

I am a long time reader and first time poster. I have been into 348/409’s for almost 20 years. I am sad to say that a job change is forcing me to sell my project that includes my dream 348 motor. I bought a 59 El Camino when I was 13 as my first car with intentions of driving it to high school. Unfortunately, it was major project and has never been finished. Over the years my father and I have replaced all of the rust and I did collect and build one of the nicest 348's around. I started off by collecting a complete motor at a wrecking yard out of a 59 El Camino. It turned out to be a bad block with a foot long crack. My second block I found had a 6 inch crack in it as well. I finally found a good block and then started looking for heads. It took me 9 sets of heads before I found some that weren't cracked. I later decided I wanted the big valve heads and purchased a good set off 1147 heads from Late Great Chevy. I had the heads completely rebuild with stainless valves. The heads sat for 9 years until I could actually afford to build the rest of the motor. I had a well known builder in Washington build my 348. He stroked it with a 409 crank and rods. It has forged Ross pistons and a custom cam. I found a set of 2.5 inch exhaust that I had ceramic coated and I also ground down a tri-power intake to look smooth and had it ceramic coated to look like a polished aluminum manifold. My dad and I rebuild the tri-power by re-coloring the carbs, adding stainless progressive linkage and fuel lines. It's one of the nicest tri-power setups that I have seen. I had the motor dyno'd and it put out 350 hp and 390 tq. Now I have a great motor for the El Camino, but I am forced to sell it all because of a job relocation and I have a 68 Camaro that has all of my attention and is a better choice for hauling the family around. If anyone reads this and wants to know more let me know. I will post more later.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site.:clap:clap Great group of guys here. Any questions someone will chime in very quickly. Pictures of your ride are always welcome.
:crazy:cheers

zcamino

Here are some pics of my motor at the dyno.

Attachments

• 348 001 (Small).jpg
    348 001 (Small).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 348 010 (Small).jpg
    348 010 (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 97

zcamino

Pics

Here are some more pics of my project

Attachments

• 23 (Medium).jpg
    23 (Medium).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 5 (Medium).jpg
    5 (Medium).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 61 (Medium).jpg
    61 (Medium).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 64 (Medium).jpg
    64 (Medium).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 69 (Medium).jpg
    69 (Medium).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 45

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard zcamino:beerbang Just one question. Why can't you bring the camino with you to your new place:dunno:dunno Ken

zcamino

I am in Washington and will be moving to Florida. The company will only move two cars and I have two daily drivers and two projects. I have had the el camino the longest, but it won't fit my family of four. I decided to finish my camaro instead. I have pondered the idea of putting the 348 in my 68 camaro. Just curious what others would think. One other reason is that I am close to my dad and he is the one with most of the tools. I know I can hang onto it and get it done over time, but it's already been 18 years. I'm starting to think it will take another 18 to get it done (after the kids are grown).

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I ask because I know that after selling a car that you don't really want to sell and then years later you want to get another one. The prices to replace are prohibitive:evil Are you in DC or the State:dunno If your in DC the transport couldn't be that bad as long as you have some place to put it. As far as the 348 in the Camaro it sounds like a cool idea as long as the car wasn't an original SS, RS, pace car ect. and you don't have the original drive line. Ken

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am a huge fan of the El Camino's!

Don't sell it. Transport it! :pray