I want to make sure it is a 409
so can anyone tell me what to look for?
thanks
JIM:)

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Jim,
The first thing you will want to look at is the engine. Find the stamping pad whick is right by the passenger side "arm" of the water pump. You should see something like, T0402QA or QB (T= tonnawanda plant, 0402= when the engine was assembled, in this instance its 04=April 02= second day of the month, QA =380hp, QB= 409hp).
Next set of numbers will be the VIN stamping. It will start with a letter and the rest will be numbers. This SHOULD match the last part of the VIN in the driver side door jamb. But if it doesn't then it could still be a 409 car but with a replacement engine.
Also make sure it has a 3/8" fuel line. It should be routed under the upper control arm on the passenger side. Look closely at how the line is secured. There should be a clip under the upper control arm. It will be rivited to the outside of the spring pocket. Only the 409 cars had this clip because those cars were the only ones that had the fuel line in there. If someone put in the line to clone the car, chances are they didn't put in this clip. Its hard to get to and hard to do right.
It should of course have a 3/8" sender in the fuel tank.
It should have a ballast resitor on the firewall.
If the car still has its original bushings in the suspension, go arround back and look at the bushings in the lower, rear control arms. There should be some little triangular cut outs on the outter flange. Those marks indicated a heavy duty bushing. Small block cars don't have them. I have an original 63 409 car and it has these bushings. Fellow members, please correct me on this if I am wrong.
62 409 cars will not have powerglides, or factory air conditioning. No 340hp engines either. They CAN have 3 speed transmissions.
Please post your findings! There is lots of good information here. All you have to do is ask! Good Luck!!!
Ross

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I looked at the bushings on my cars a while ago and the 64 with a 283 had no notches. The 62 409 car had the notched bushings on both sides, and I also looked at a 300 hp 327 car that seemed to have the notched bushing on the right side only. This was a little hard to tell for sure because there was a fair bit of rust on it. Also I think the notches only apply to the larger rear bushing not on the front one.
Another thing to check for would be the factory tach. If it's there it should be redlined at 6000 or 6200, I can't remember which right now but the smallblock tachs were 5,500 I think. If the tach is gone there should at least be two holes in the steering column at about 10 oclock and there should also be two holes in the inner fender on the drivers side where the tach sending unit was mounted. You might also want to look at some engine bay photos of 409 cars to see the fan shroud it's shorter than the smallblock one. And like Ross said there are no 62 409s with automatics.