New member from Ohio

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. I'm an old Fart that still loves nostalgic cars and stumbled on this site while looking for info on a 409 motor I found. Buddy has had it for years from an old Township Truck, it is a replacement 3857656 engine which checked out being very low mileage and still mics out having a stock bore. Have lots of questions on which components to put inside to up the HP some and would really like to be able to use a dual quad setup since that is the WOW factor when the hood is open on an old Chevy.

Since I found an engine then I needed a car and found this one in NC with another parts car which I thought was really solid and a good starter for my two sons and myself to do a frame up redo to make a nice driver/cruiser to enjoy. I also have a 32 Ford Hotrod but it's pretty impractical but a blast to drive. I grew up in the sixties and seventies with little money for the cool rides but looking back now I see that the cars I had then are highly sought after today.

Hope to be able to share trials and tribulations of my first attempt at a ground up redo and hope to be able to twist the ear of those that have gone thru this before on how to do it. Someone mentioned pictures, here are a couple to get started. Our plan is not a perfect restoration on but a clean updated car I never had and won't try to pass it off as original, just a blend of what we like like on others we've seen and what we want the final product to look like.

62impalascreenshot.jpg

dsc02184v.jpg

Have learned over the years, no matter what interest I have it's always paid to go to where the folks are knowledgeable and have been there and done it. Looks like a wealth of information here and can't wait to dig deeper and read all the threads. I think my sons are more anxious than me on getting started on this project. Should be a fun ride.

Dennis (Topstrap)

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Dennis.:clap Great group here :hug and lots of info on the"W" engine. Enjoy the ride.

:crazy:cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dennis: Welcome aboard. That rebuilt 409 engine will look right at home in the '62 Impala :). If you want to use the factory dual quad setup, you have to go with the larger port heads, which come at a premium. There are some aftermarket intakes that work with the smaller heads, such as the 333s that generally sit atop the truck block. One can coax a lot of torque out of those small ports heads, and since you already have them, you might start there. It all comes down to your preferences and your budget.

Cheers!
TomK

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dennis, welcome to the Zoo.... Let me be the first to invite you to the 348-409 Shootout, which is held in your home state of Ohio... Great times and opportunity to meet and greet with some of the goup.

Bill

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome Dennis. Good to see another nut (Buckeye) on board!! What part of our Great State are you in??

Lonnie

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Near St. Clairsville. Buddy also told me about the 409 Shootout and sounds like something I'll definately have to plan to go to next year. I think he mentioned June sometime? Thanks for the welcome and can't wait to get started on this project. We just got back from NC about midnight tonight after an 18 hr trip to drag home the parts car. Has some good chrome and trim pieces, radiator shroud, seats that I can hopefully salvage the springs and parts from and who knows what else but body wise it's a total waste but maybe.... after taking off the inner fender wells I might find those lil pieces I'm needing under the cowl.

Dennis

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dennis:

I plan on dismantling a crusty 1962 Super Sport this Winter for parts I need (buckets, grab bar, trim pieces, etc.) but if there's something you might need after tearing into your parts car, let me know. I generally visit the Cleveland area a few times a year (especially early June when we meet at Thompson Drag Raceway for the Shootout :)).

Good luck with your project!

TomK