New Guy With Old Cars

Hi-I have been watching this sight for years and have decided to join since I am retired. The first car that I ever drove as a kid in Texas was a 1961 Impala with a 62 409 engine. It belonged to my sisters boyfriend. I had just turned 14 yrs. old. Scared the pee out of me. Now after owning 6 corvettes, 4 Camaros, 2 Impalas, 2 bicaynes, 4 pickups, and 10 motorcycles I am down to a 62 Impala, 60 Biscayne, and a 73 Camaro (that we wont count ). The 62 Impala has a 65 409 truck block, mild hyd. cam, 817 heads., and a late 61 aluminum 4 bll. intake with a 750 Edlebrock carb. It was originally a powerglide car but I installed a built th350. Decent car but just a driver ( still has original interior). The 60 Biscayne was bought on E-bay by another guy here in Va. years ago with a 340 horse 409, and a muncey 4 speed. When he received it it was running on 6 cyls. and only had 2 gears. After spending another 10 grand he decided he wanted a Mopar so I was the lucky buyer. The engine was bored .060 over, larger intake valves. bowl work, completely balanced, new 340 cam ( something I am getting ready to change) and all ARP bolts. Then he had the trans. totally rebuilt and replaced all suspension parts. After I got it I put an Offenhauser 2-4 inake with 2 edelbrock carbs. I then put a small brke booster on it so i could stop ( still drum brakes). I updated the exhaust to 2-1/2 ( was 2 inch ). The exhaust made to biggest difference. It has a 3.55 open rear ( I would rather buy tires than rear ends). This is a fun car and I will never sell. It is a 2 door sedan painted yellow with all Impala trim- even 3 tailights.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:hugWelcome Richard,and remember it's better here to be a "new guy"with old cars,than an old guy with new ones!Phil may be the exception.:deal

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
GREAT stories!!!! That is what this site is all about!!! Welcome aboard!!!
Thanks for the compliment Don. While you're picking on me.......................you're leaving Cecil alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome!! One more '60 into the mix. Sounds like a neat ride!! The '62 ain't bad either!:clap

Lonnie

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Richard.:clapGreat group here and lots of info on the "W" engine. Enjoy the ride.
:crazy:cheers

Here are some pictures of the 62. The red line tires on it are original Firestone wide ovals from the 60s ( bias-ply). They were dry rotted so bad I have since switched to 15" ralleys with radials. This car supposedly sat in a barn for a long time. It still has the original spare in the trunk. Originally tuxedo black-someone sprayed over with Roman Red and did a little bondo work in the lower rear quarters along the way. A ball to drive. I live in the country about 10 miles from town and usuaaly take it. Starts easily at 30 degrees with no choke. A real tourqe monster!

Sorry the site says that my pictures are too large. I will have to figure out how to compress them.

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome....I am pretty new myself......this is a great crowd to be around !!!!!
Looking forward to the pics !