New Guy New Motor

Don 409

Well Known Member
Hello,
Just acquired a 409/425 that need rebuilding and a 63 chevy to put around it. I will be asking a lot of questions about this engine as I rebuild it. Right now I have a 68 Corvette with a 327 automatic I've had for 27 years and a 66 Coronet with a 383 4 speed that I've had 5 years. Working on old cars is a hobby/habit of mine. The first question I will post here. On the underside of the two 4 barrel intake my splash shield is missing. Is this the same splash shield as the 409 single four barrel? Will any of the 409 intake shields work? I don't want to start buying parts I can't use. Any help to start will be appreciated!
Don

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
:welcomeDon....come on in...................:crazy:crazy:crazy:dohNo answer to your question, but someone will know.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to the site Don. Sorry I can't help on the splash shield question. As Dave said, someone here will get you your answer.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hello,
Just acquired a 409/425 that need rebuilding and a 63 chevy to put around it. I will be asking a lot of questions about this engine as I rebuild it. Right now I have a 68 Corvette with a 327 automatic I've had for 27 years and a 66 Coronet with a 383 4 speed that I've had 5 years. Working on old cars is a hobby/habit of mine. The first question I will post here. On the underside of the two 4 barrel intake my splash shield is missing. Is this the same splash shield as the 409 single four barrel? Will any of the 409 intake shields work? I don't want to start buying parts I can't use. Any help to start will be appreciated!
Don
I believe all the 409 pans are the same, but the 348 pans are different. The 409 is on the left, you can see how the belly is smaller on the 348 on the right... Hope this helps
Rick

1E199020-95C0-4B88-95F3-B11A6896C121.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Don. I think as long as the splash shield is off of a large port 1x4 it will work.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome to the site Don.........just ask and you will receive these guys are great about that. so hang on ...........

the ride is a trip. :wax

Martin

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome.:clap As a new guy myself the only thing I know for sure that I can share with you is this site is addicting.....

Don 409

Well Known Member
Thanks for the welcome guys. Rick, thanks for the pictures. I now know what to look for and won't make a mistake when I buy one.
Don

Don 409

Well Known Member
What is the best way to remove the rivets that hold the splash pan in place? All my rivets are there - the shield is just missing.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It looks like the photo that Rick posted is a small port 409 and would more then likely interchange with the 348 shield as well.

Don 409

Well Known Member
Would the one on the left also fit a large port intake or is there a third shield? I really don't know the different measurements between a large port and a small port intake. Can anyone tell me? I will have to measure mine after work today. I really appreciate the help.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don, I'm not sure if the small and large 409 are interchangeable or not, I do have an 881 as well, but the shield is gone from it:dunno That pic was the just to show the difference.. Guess it doesn't really answer your original question though...

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, I'm not sure if the small and large 409 are interchangeable or not, I do have an 881 as well, but the shield is gone from it:dunno That pic was the just to show the difference.. Guess it doesn't really answer your original question though...
Ricky,
Is the 409 manifold in your pic small port? It looks like it is to me.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Don! These guys will have the answer for you in no time.....and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't all learn something new along the way. This is one place where everyone realizes that this stuff helps all members old and new. I know of some other forums where the only reply to a question that has been asked is "do a search", or they go into some long rant about it being asked/answered before when they could have just answered the question quicker.....or just not replied.
I have 2 large port dual quad intakes and 1 is missing the shield. I had planned on just pulling one from the only other W intake I have which is a cast iron small port intake as I had read somewhere that they are all the same. Thanks to your question and the replies above I won't be making that mistake now.
We'd all love to see pictures when you have time. Jason

Don 409

Well Known Member
Well, I'm tearing the engine down now and have some time to fine the correct splash shield when I get some more information on exactly what I need. After I tear it down I'm having a machine shop in N.C. to do the machine work for me. I found out today that the engine has never been bored. I don't think that this engine has ever been apart.
Don