New Guy looking to learn....

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone. I've had my 1961 Impala since high school (1989) and ran it with a decent 350 my dad and I built. That car sat for 15 years after being hit in the front end while parked.

Anyway, the motor is out and body/paint work being done. It should be better than before. My dad and I scored a 348 last weekend (5011 blk, 379 heads, no intake), no more 350. I remember seeing the article last year on the 348 stroker and trashed the magazine because I just new I wouldnt be able to go that route. Well, i'm hooked. I really want around 500hp, just need to find the best way to get there.

I saw petepedlar's build and am starting to run the numbers....

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Austin Bubbletop, I think by searching " stroker" in the 348409 engine section that you can find much information to get you started. If not, just ask.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
After doing some reading, i'm not sure I can pull off a 348 stroker just yet. Too much money needed for other things. I may just rebuild the 350 for now in order to make sure I have the 348 build that I want

This car has been a wild ride. Street raced it in high school, drove it every day. Then it started to get driven less and less and then the crash. Since then i've been hit up multiple times per year by people wanting to buy it and family members thinking I should just give it to them. lol I've seen hard times with this economy and never considered selling it.

I couldn't care less if the thing looks stock or original but I dont want a car thats hacked to hell either. I swear this thing is getting to be more and more like a third kid to me with each passing day.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the best 348-409 discussion board out there!

Great to learn that you've had a '61 for two decades and still have it! I love that particular year design, although I have some 1962 cars as well. My 1961 is a Belair sport coupe, which is in need of total restoration, but worth the effort. Been playing with it for several years now...

If you have some, you should post some pics of your '61 before and after the collision. We love pictures!

I understand the cost required to build a correct "W" engine, but in the end you'll have something very few others have. Hang on to that 348 block and read the various threads on building these engines, and when the time is right, jump in there!

Cheers!
TomK

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
just take your time. If anything, stick the 350 mill in there and build the 348 as money permits. Then swap it in. Even if it takes you a couple years to get the 348 stroker done, you'll be happy I'm sure. Welcome to the site! :cheers

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Austin, There is a lot of info here and a great deal of knowledge. Just ask. the 348 is just what the doctor ordered for that there bubbletop...:deal Keep us posted on your progress and by all means post some pics. We love pics.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome

Bubbletop, Welcome to the site:clap Also sent you a private message.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard A. Bubbletop:beerbang Sounds like you have the addiction just like I think most of us if not all here:crazy Love the 61 It's my personal favorite of all the impalas and I've never owned one:takethat Have owned just about ever other year but not a 61:scratch Go figgure. I aggree that you should stick with the 350 so that you can build the 348 the way you want and install later. But it sounds as if you have some body work to first:dunno Ken

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, Austin Bubbletop: Just remember, good things take time.:clap:clap