new and have a brain awaiting 409 input!

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
Hello all! my name is alec, im 19 years old. i have a black 79 camaro z28, it was my first car ive had it for around 4-5 years now, when the weather is right ( here in michigan it rarely is) its my daily driver. i came up with the plan to find, build, and swap a 409 into my car. ive already deemed the car to be a lifetime project, and that includes a rare and awesome motor!

so im looking for tips on finding and installing one of these monsters, preferably a 409/409 but to be honest, with how scarce they are, ill take anything! i DO NOT plan to put a bunch of edelbrock crap on it, i want to have one thats reletively original. and numbers do not HAVE to match, but if by some magic chance they do, im on board!

thank you, and expect many questions from me!

CATS 09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
welcome new member

welcome to this fun and fact filled site for motorheads, (very special W motors.) i can't say for certain but you might very well be the youngest member here:clap, at least one of only a small percentage in that age bracket. i am a senior citizen and i believe closer in age to the majority of our members. how did you get envolved / interested in the 409? It is important that you are because young folks like yourself will keep these rare and legendary engines alive for more generations than someone my age could. i had wanted a 409 after having owned a 348 in a 58 chevy some decades back. that 348 was a little beast and earned me much distinction on the street drag race scene for many miles around, that was 1963 and 64. from there i had to have its big brother, finally seeing my opportunity to buy one and build it the way i had always wanted too in 2002. I congratulate you on the 409 choice for the z28. it will be a beast too, unique one at that. this is the place to get expert advice, not so much from me though cause i am at awe here with what i read from members .

7d9_z28

Well Known Member

well, i have always ( and this is talking back before i knew what an engine even did) like they look of the 409. the unique heads and valve covers, and the air cleaner looking like it covered a sigle carb but actually held 2! from there i gradually learned more about them, until a few months ago it hit me, to put one in my car... so i started reading books about em, going to every website that had the number s 409 on them, finally coming to the conclusion that a z11 car would be in my top three dream cars ( im strictly american muscle, pre 85) and would do what it takes to achieve at least close that goal. although in my research i found a guy in canada who had already put a 409 in his 79 camaro rally sport, but thats not stopping me. at the age of 19 i want to start inspiring the kids at the car show to ask "what is that?" or "cool motor!" because i remember being that very same kid, and i love the thought that i caould become the person that inspires the kids. and i cannot wait to be the youngest guy at the car show to have a 409, and have all the older generation guys askin about it!

and i would like to stress that guys and girls like you, who experienced these cars in thier heydays, the people who made history with the cars ive grown up loving, are heros of mine!

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard. We all think we are still 19 here, at least until we try to do the things we did when we were. You'll get honest intelligent answers from the members. Good luck on your build.

Ray

7d9_z28

Well Known Member

thank you! and ive only been a member for 2 days, and the responses are unbelievable! i had no idea there would be so many people willing to help! most forums i join, people are bleak and unresponsive, except over at the amceaglenest.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site.:clap That sounds like an ambitious project and I want to wish you good luck on your build. Look around on this site and you will come across a lot of different 409 combinations. 55-57 Bowties,'66 chevelles,even t-birds. Post lots of pictures as you go along so we can enjoy the build with you.:cheers:cheers:crazy:cool:

7d9_z28

Well Known Member

thank you! and the project is still down the road, for now i just have the camaro as my daily driver with the stock 350 (numbers matching car) but i will certainly document the process!

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wecome aboard Alec:beerbang Sounds like a great project and look forward to your Questions and your updates. Have you got any leeds on that 409 your looking for yet:dunno Ken

7d9_z28

Well Known Member

actually, ive had a couple messages sent to me about available engines, but money isnt right just yet, just starting a new job after a little time of being unemployed. i just really wanted to get my name out there that im looking for one! im amazed at how many responses already