New '58 348 owner

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Hi,

I recently purchased an early '58 348 passenger motor which needs some rebuilding (done by a qualified person) as I am not very knowledgeable with motors yet.
However I am hoping to get some answers here on the forum regarding certain issues for my own personal knowledge.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:welcome2The answer about is ,reguarding any aftermarket head,or any large port head is that while it can be done,you wouldn't want to.They will kill your low end power on a short stroke street engine.All of the three deuce manifolds are of the small port varity and as such won't work with a large port head package.By the time you get a 3 duce set up together,starting from scratch,expect to have nearly 1500 dollars in that set up at current prices.Since you're looking for about 1 hp.per cubic inch,I'll suggest the following package.First,make certain that the machine shop that you'll be using is very familar with these engines as there are several differences as compared to the typical Chevy engines.A really good source for these parts is Show Cars.Once the block is checked and machined such as bored,decked,cam bearings properly installed,get a set of the K-B Icon pistons[10.5-1] and a good moly faced ring[yes cast pistons are available for about 300 dollars less,but they'll cost you about 25-30 horse power],add either a pn 0949 or 0950 cam[hyd.flat tappet],good rod bolts to the stock rods,balance the assembly.For the heads that you already have,install the 2.06 in.,1.72 valves,have the bowls blended,cut the valve guides for better seals and valve springs for your chosen cam.To keep the cost down,get an Edelbrock Performer single 4 bbl.intake and use a Street Demon 625 carb.On the exhaust side,the 2 1/2 center dump or the exhaust manifolds from a 348-409 truck engine will work,but a small tube,tri-y header would be the best .

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
:welcome2The answer about is ,reguarding any aftermarket head,or any large port head is that while it can be done,you wouldn't want to.They will kill your low end power on a short stroke street engine.All of the three deuce manifolds are of the small port varity and as such won't work with a large port head package.By the time you get a 3 duce set up together,starting from scratch,expect to have nearly 1500 dollars in that set up at current prices.Since you're looking for about 1 hp.per cubic inch,I'll suggest the following package.First,make certain that the machine shop that you'll be using is very familar with these engines as there are several differences as compared to the typical Chevy engines.A really good source for these parts is Show Cars.Once the block is checked and machined such as bored,decked,cam bearings properly installed,get a set of the K-B Icon pistons[10.5-1] and a good moly faced ring[yes cast pistons are available for about 300 dollars less,but they'll cost you about 25-30 horse power],add either a pn 0949 or 0950 cam[hyd.flat tappet],good rod bolts to the stock rods,balance the assembly.For the heads that you already have,install the 2.06 in.,1.72 valves,have the bowls blended,cut the valve guides for better seals and valve springs for your chosen cam.To keep the cost down,get an Edelbrock Performer single 4 bbl.intake and use a Street Demon 625 carb.On the exhaust side,the 2 1/2 center dump or the exhaust manifolds from a 348-409 truck engine will work,but a small tube,tri-y header would be the best .

Thank you so much Don for the info. I will be relaying all this to my shop.
I will take us back to the Build/project post were I attached some photos.