Need More Clearance to Install Wide Wheels on Your X-Frame Chevrolet?

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thought some of you might find this solution useful.

I'm running 20X10 0 offset wheels and 11" wide tires on the rear and 18X8's on the front of my Impala. For a wider stance and more importantly, to have space to run the 2-1/2 inch exhaust over the rear axle, I'm running 1 inch studded hub centric spacers from US wheel spacers. for the rear, this is an alternative to buying $1500 a pop billet custom wheels or widening the rear axle.

The problem I have in the rear is space to install the wheels, at any drop position.

The solution I came up with is to use lug bolts in the place of studs in the spacer to attach the wheel. I gain the length of the stud (1-1/4") that is installed in the spacer. The wheels go right on. Using the existing rear spacers, I indicated each counter bore where the studs used to be, bored a press fit hole for a knurled steel threaded insert, and bored for the insert head. Had to make the inserts as nothing was available that would suffice.

From Gorilla, I sourced lug bolts matching the front wrenching end, of a suitable size and length. Torqued to 85ft/lb. Included some photos of the spacers

I suspect some may not like hub centric spacers, but I have used them in the past with 0 issues. Just red or blue Loctite the nuts and torque them. Advise a retorque at some point. This is not an advertisement as I don't currently have any intention to make them for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_7306.JPG
    IMG_7306.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7307.JPG
    IMG_7307.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7308.JPG
    IMG_7308.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 15

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Would like to bring the front down a bit more. Just enough to bury the lip. Will have to wait though. Just want to drive it.

Reactions: 327

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What size shoes/rubber are you running? I'm looking at similar rim sizes but with different offsets.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rear Tire: 275/35/20
Wheel: 20X10- 5.5 back space/0 offset w/o spacer
Front Tire 235/40/18
Wheel: 18X8- 4.5 back space/0 offset w/o spacer

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Might want to post in your text above that you are talking about your 1960 Impala. From 1958-1964 and 1965, for those lucky few with a 409 in them, the wheel wells have variations that don't apply across the board. I say that because at some point your pictures could be dropped and no one would know which car this information applies to. There are past posts that don't have images and you have to kind of guess what they would have shown. Perfect stance on that old girl.