Need 348 advice

Hi, My name is Scott Swanson, from Portland, Or. My father-in-law passed away, and my wife and I have been clearing out decades of stuff. Being a Chevy guy, the only thing we found of interest to me is a complete 348 motor with both tri-power and single 4 barrel manifold/carb setups. Motor is disassembled. This website has been a great resource so far, and so far all parts seem to be from the same 59-61 passenger car with AT. It has been really interesting to learn about these motors, although another family member had told me before that it was a 409 that had been stashed away decades ago. So, no 409 but I am still interested in doing something with this gear, as a tribute to my father-in-law, and possibly for my son's first car (he is 14). So here are the questions I have (1) Is it worth rebuilding. It is 250 hp motor, are parts available if needed? (2) What would all of this be worth if we decided to sell it. (3) We also found a 67 El Camino in his barn. It is rough, but restorable. Could the 348 be put in the El Camino. It would be quite a project, but could be fun. Any ideas from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
To expand on Grub's answer to question 2. Your description is not detailed enough to post any kind of accurate answer. You need to post detailed pictures showing casting numbers and date codes on the parts and conditions. Value would increase if you can document that there are no cracks to be dealt with. Include pics of the carbs as, "real deal" try-power carbs have some value.

Welcome to the Board!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
A 348 in that El Camino would be an interesting tribute. The "W" engine can be a little expensive to rebuild, but the nostalgia appeal is undeniable.

We can guide you through your choices in putting one back together. Lots of experience on the boards, from low budget to high performance :).

Welcome aboard!
TomK

To expand on Grub's answer to question 2. Your description is not detailed enough to post any kind of accurate answer. You need to post detailed pictures showing casting numbers and date codes on the parts and conditions. Value would increase if you can document that there are no cracks to be dealt with. Include pics of the carbs as, "real deal" try-power carbs have some value.

Welcome to the Board!

Thank you Dick. I will be providing more info, and probably more questions as well. Tri power carbs are correct, but would need to be rebuilt and there is no linkage.

1 yes
2 what ever someone is prepared to pay for it
3 yes with a bit of jiggling

4 welcome to the site

Welcome to the site Scott.:clap Great group here:hug and lots of info on the "W" engine. Enjoy the ride.
:crazy:dance:cheers

Thank you, ready to get started.
A 348 in that El Camino would be an interesting tribute. The "W" engine can be a little expensive to rebuild, but the nostalgia appeal is undeniable.

We can guide you through your choices in putting one back together. Lots of experience on the boards, from low budget to high performance :).

Welcome aboard!
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
DSCF0491_zpsc251bb0b.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Scott:

Most parts to rebuild your engine are readily available through a variety of sources. Linkage for your tripower, gasket and bearing sets, you name it and someone knows one or more options for you to consider. In the end, it's your project, you get to make all the decisions. We can help you with some options if you're interested. Lots of directions to take a 348, you need to decide what you want to do in terms of performance, etc. Anywhere from 250 horses to over 400 horses and accompanying torque, it just depends on your budget and what you hope to use it for.

Good luck!
TomK

Scott:

Most parts to rebuild your engine are readily available through a variety of sources. Linkage for your tripower, gasket and bearing sets, you name it and someone knows one or more options for you to consider. In the end, it's your project, you get to make all the decisions. We can help you with some options if you're interested. Lots of directions to take a 348, you need to decide what you want to do in terms of performance, etc. Anywhere from 250 horses to over 400 horses and accompanying torque, it just depends on your budget and what you hope to use it for.

Good luck!
TomK

Thanks

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Hi Scott, from one Oregonian to another welcome to the site. There is a good engine builder in Tigard, Gray's Automotive, that is very experienced with W engines. His name is Paul and may be able to help you check the block and heads for cracks as well as give you some advice on your build. He has build Steve Gregory's engine, who I race with, and Steve swears by him. Let me know if you need any more information.

Paul

Hi Scott, from one Oregonian to another welcome to the site. There is a good engine builder in Tigard, Gray's Automotive, that is very experienced with W engines. His name is Paul and may be able to help you check the block and heads for cracks as well as give you some advice on your build. He has build Steve Gregory's engine, who I race with, and Steve swears by him. Let me know if you need any more information.

Paul

Thanks a lot. Sounds like just the guy I am gonna need.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Scott. Anything you need for the build is available. You have the expensive parts already. Pistons and main bearings are the only higher dollar parts. Enjoy

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As Paul stated Steve has Grays do his engine work and Steve"s car is very fast! Pat :bow

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Steve's car is still stock bore, iron heads and single 4bbl and runs 11.50's on 9in slick. It is consistent.

Paul