Muncie M-20 or BW T-10

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I currently have a M20 in my Impala behind a 348. What is/are the differences between it and a BW T10? I get the wide ratio is closer to the M20 gear ratio wise, but any benefit from one to another?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Both 4 speed transmissions have transmissions with wide ratios 1st gear (2.52 Muncie & 2.54 BW 1st gear)
and both come with close ratio 1st gears ( 2.20 first gear ) in BW T-10 4 speeds and also 2.20 first gear in a Muncie 4 speed( M-21)

Close ratio 4 speeds are not good with Highway gear rear end ends ( not good from stop sign)
I never liked close ratio 4 speeds - wide ratio 4 speeds are better. I switched all my 62’s that came with BW 4 speeds to Muncie 4 speed ( wide ratio)

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have never had a t 10 pop out of gear and would think if you have good engagement teeth and torque lock sliders that wouldn't happen. I have had twisted output splines on the 16 spline chevy units though

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Wayne Euper from Richmond Mo built the BW T-10 for me from transmission and parts he had.
Wayne was the go to transmission builder for many years for a large number of cars - I think many guys on the forum knew Wayne..
He was a Chevrolet dealer transmission guy ( as I remember )

i drove my frame off restored California GM 1962 Impala 380 HP 409 with the Borg Warner about 500 miles ( that Wayne built for me) and it popped out of gear.
I shipped the transmission back to Wayne and he rebuilt it again ( I don’t remember what he did to the BW - it’s been too many years ). It still jumped out of gear with decelerating in 2nd gear. I ended up selling the car to build a new garage ( My 62 409 is now in Michigan sold for close to $ 75,000 in 2019 - I sold it in 2003 for half that value - it was a 993 point out of 1000 point 62 Late Great Chevy show in Springfield Mo) - it now has a Super T-10 in the car)

Wayne built at least 8 - BW and mostly Muncie 4 speeds for my 62 frame off restorations over a 15 year time frame, always had great 4 speeds that were and still are great ( I still have 2 of his Muncie 4 speeds in my 62 & 57.

i like how a Muncie 4 speed shifts ( smoother )as compared to a BW 4 speed

Paul

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Thank you all for the information. I see more of the T10s listed locally than the Muncies. I have one in my 63 and wondered if I should swap it to the T10. Reading the comments, I will just keep it and put that money into something else for the car.
Thanks!
Paul